UV Brush Operation snaps back to Drag

3307   13   1
378 posts
No matter what operation I chose in the UV Brush settings, as soon as I start brushing the Operation snaps back to “Drag”.

Again the question: Am I missing something? Anyone can confirm this? I have not special scene for it.
Just create a sphere put a polar projection on it and activate UV-Brush.
Edited by OneBigTree - Feb. 10, 2017 15:27:11

Attachments:
UV_brush issue.gif (885.9 KB)

333 posts
hi,
Please submit a bug.

However for the meantime you can just right click in the viewport and select the brush there. After that it should work.
I tested it on 673 and it works.

Anyway you should still submit a bug.
538 posts
You can also lock menu item parm with RMB menu
https://gumroad.com/alexeyvanzhula [gumroad.com]
378 posts
Thanks guys.
Choosing the operation by right clicking works, but smooth doesn't do anything.
Locking the parameter in the panel doesn't help because if I do that the nothing works anymore.

Will report as bug.

This is the most buggy software I have ever encountered. Every time I start playing with it I find something. And I am just learning. How can that be I mean there are people working every day with Houdini. Are these guys not using the tool? Or are they just not reporting?

Edit: It turns out, this is not a bug at all. This is un-intuitive UI design and lack of user guidance.
There is an options panel for the brush but guess what, this is not where you make the settings for the brush as anyone would expect. Instead this is just an additional option for the settings you do in the rightclick menu.

I really wonder how a team of geniuses can come up with something like that.
Back to XSI once again.
Edited by OneBigTree - Feb. 13, 2017 12:13:06
4189 posts
OneBigTree
This is the most buggy software I have ever encountered. Every time I start playing with it I find something. And I am just learning. How can that be I mean there are people working every day with Houdini. Are these guys not using the tool? Or are they just not reporting?

We actually report bugs and workflow issues without insulting people. You may want to try that.
378 posts
Artye
OneBigTree

We actually report bugs and workflow issues without insulting people. You may want to try that.

How did I insult anybody? I don't have a signature like yours….
Edited by OneBigTree - Feb. 13, 2017 14:52:17
378 posts
In Case anyone wonders why I am so testy about the reliability of this software, here's some of the things that happened all in one day of trying to work with Houdini:

1 Encountered a wrong description of a feature in the Docs (creating Subnets)
2 Discovered a feature that behaves like a bug because of misleading and incomplete description in the docs
3 While working on a model Polybevel stopped working altogether. (edges selected, SOP applied but no bevel, no matter what)
4 While working on a model I accidentally clicked the Cusp SHelf tool which completely broke my model (No Cusp SOP applied but every single Polygon in a single group, all previous groups from other SOPs gone and no way of getting them back by Undo or reaplying the SOP)
5 UV Brush ceases to work randomly even with the correct settings (see attchment)

This is an example how a typical Houdini session usually goes for me. So I honestly wonder how anyone can do serious work with it. This is not an insult but normal question.

Attachments:
UV_brush issue_2.gif (2.5 MB)

4189 posts
OneBigTree
This is an example how a typical Houdini session usually goes for me. So I honestly wonder how anyone can do serious work with it. This is not an insult but normal question.

Quite simply - it makes money for us - we work around any issues the software has and report them when that's worth the time and effort. If you apply the same logic to yourself you wouldn't spend anymore time with it as it doesn't make you any money.
1755 posts
I hate to take a populist stance here and agree with both Marty and OneBigTree:
OneBigTree, Marty's right, your comments come off as rather coarse, even though most likely you don't intend that - non-native speakers tend to tread on that line for obvious reasons.

But you're also right, at least on one account IMO: Some aspects of Houdini interface are not intuitive. In this instance, preferences are indeed not that well organized, as one would find them in XSI. I've filed at least one RFE and you should too, the reasons why that's preferable have been discussed many times.

Experienced Houdini users should give credit to new users at least in one matter: the ability to make a valid value judgement regarding intuitiveness since it is predicated on the implicit lack of knowledge of said new users. Obviously, one doesn't need to have intuition when one has knowledge.
There has to be something that makes Houdini less intuitive - regarding the interface, interaction with tools and viewport, how options/prefs are organized, not its procedural nature - otherwise, I for one, can't explain why when I was a new XSI user coming from Max I had an experience that could described as “seeing the light”.

Now, these enhancements are not in SESI's sights right now, as it should be, there are more dire things that need tending right away, but time will come… just file RFEs, detailed, documented RFEs. And discuss them on forums too, after a 30 min break from the moment something pissed you off in Houdini
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - Feb. 13, 2017 17:28:27
4189 posts
yes the new focus is to accommodate and make things artist facing but the elephant in the room is the artist just might be crap too.
378 posts
Artye
OneBigTree

Quite simply - it makes money for us - we work around any issues the software has and report them when that's worth the time and effort. If you apply the same logic to yourself you wouldn't spend anymore time with it as it doesn't make you any money.

I have no doubt that H makes money for you. The question is, could you make more money with a software that doesn't require so many workarounds and reports?

And yes, you are exactly right the question I have to ask myself is why would I want to use it, If I can most of the things it does quicker in XSI? Or in Cinema or Maya? At the moment there is only one answer: I love Houdini. But every time I use my limited time (because I actually have to earn money)to try to get closer and deeper into Houdini after half an hour I stumble over some tripwire that makes me use the small window I have to actually learn the software to figure out where the docs are wrong, if it is really a bug, find a work around or actually report something. And by the time all this is done I have to go back to work.
I am literally trying to get used to houdini since the apprentice edition came out. But it has so many tripwires that it makes maya look like a golf court lawn. I switched from 3ds max to XSI in 2 months when the essentials came out - during production.

So if I am being testy and annoyed than because I do not understand why it seems to be that hard to make at least the basic parts of this software stable, reliable and accessible so people can start doing simple project with it to actually make this investment pay for itself. I am buying my annual indie license regularly and haven't found a use for it in a paid project because I simply can't risk any of the glitches I encounter with even the simplest scenes in a paid project with a fixed tight schedule. All the finest nodes and functions are nothing if you can't use them quickly and reliably and if you actually have to ask in a forum how to use them.

PS: the list of things that happened to me during my latest session isn't even complete. I might be recording the next ones.
Edited by OneBigTree - Feb. 17, 2017 20:50:38
378 posts
I'm really not making this up. After I wrote the above post I opened houdini to try something. And this happened. See attachment. The same happened in the UV edit node a few days ago. But there it only updated when I modified the softselection radius. This is a superbasic operation and it is bugged. What can I say…
Edited by OneBigTree - Feb. 17, 2017 21:10:41

Attachments:
primitive transform issue.gif (3.0 MB)

253 posts
I really feel ya, check out my post almost 2 years ago

https://sidefx.com/forum/topic/40908/#post-183376 [sidefx.com]

What I've learned the hard way is:

- Arm yourself with a lot of patience when you study houdini

- Follow along, DO and FINISH all the tutorials you can

- Do as many variations you can think of out of the tuts

- Ask in the forums wording your question the best you can, and be patient, if there's no reply when your thread's gone to the second page, rephrase your question in a new topic. Repeat until you get an answer. Be sure to include the simplest hip possible.

- Remake works you've done in other software

- Post your work so you get challenged to take it further

- Read the docs every so often. Make it a goal to read it all the way through in a couple of months or a year or whatever you have the time to.

- Contact support politely, they do care. And should respond in a day or 2, often within the day.

I'm sure I have more but those are the ones at the top of my head. As per your last problem, it looks like an openGL glitch, are you using an ATI card ?
6 posts
Alexey Vanzhula
You can also lock menu item parm with RMB menu
Yeep, its the only way it works. Lesson for us, users, why we should report bugs. 5 years gone, 19.5 release, that "feature" is still there.

Mirroring in 3D viewporr works weird too, just repeats the stroke on the other side instead of mirroring it. And backface mask for the brush is also necessary.
Edited by stpiton - Sept. 7, 2022 12:13:00
  • Quick Links