How do you use the velocity from particles to drive smoke?

4321   3   0
2 posts
I'm currently trying to create this galaxy/black hole thing. I have the idea of how i want with particles, now im trying to use those particles to drive a smoke sim. I dont want to emit from the particles, i just want to use the particles velocity to move the smoke. I'm super new to houdini, this is probably my third week using it. Ive heard about advect by volumes/filaments, but not sure how to set that up correctly. I attached my file, hopefully someone can help.

Attachments:
SPiralGalaxy_07.hiplc (901.0 KB)

2531 posts
There are a few example files [tokeru.com] here that might help.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
29 posts
Not sure if this is what you're going for and I'm by no means a Houdini expert, beginner at best, but this is what I came up with after messing with your project file for a bit.

I was able to make the velocity drive the smoke however I'm not getting the suction in the middle as clearly as I'm thinking you're probably going for. Not sure what the answer is for that, if you find out let me know.

One suggestion, to get a decent resolution on your smoke you're going to have to have a lot of voxels and right now the surface area of that circle is pretty huge so it's going to take a long time to calculate when you want a decent resolution. Might be better to make everything smaller so that increasing the resolution on your sim won't kill your CPU.

Attachments:
SPiralGalaxy_07_js.hiplc (2.2 MB)

2 posts
awesome thanks guys! Jasonsm, I'll try to reduce scale and see how that works.
  • Quick Links