Light Occluding Objects

2216   10   1
2038 posts
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to use an object to occlude a light source without that object getting rendered too?

Meaning, making it ‘invisible’ to the renderer but not for the purpose of saying using that object occlude a light source that would say, result in a shadow on another object.

I suspect I will have to get into doing compositing. But for the time being would prefer to just work with lights and objects somehow.

Thanks.
253 posts
Geometry node -> Render tab -> Render Visibility -> Phantom

Not sure if this is what you want though.
2038 posts
Thanks for the suggestion A-OC, unfortunately that doesn't seem to do the trick.
253 posts
Could you rephrase then ? I'm not understanding your question as it is.
2038 posts
Perhaps I should include a hip file.

But say I'm looking at a sphere from camera view.

I also have a spotlight looking down at the sphere as well; from the same direction as the camera.

In between the sphere and camera, I place a flat disk to partially block out and caste a shadow on the sphere.

However if I render from the camera view, that disk object blocks out a part of the sphere from being seen ( blacked out because I have the light filter of the disk object blank so it receives no light ).

I would like to be able to caste the shadow but not have the disk obscure the view of the sphere.
253 posts
Then Phantom does exactly that. I'm feeling a little dumb now, lol. Maybe post your hip file.
253 posts
look

Attachments:
phantom.jpg (21.9 KB)
No_phantom.jpg (26.3 KB)

2038 posts
Ok…here's the file.

Phantom doesn't work…but -primary does.

I thought I tried primary earlier, but I guess I overlooked it.

Thanks for your replies A-OC….making the hip file got me to try -primary again.

I can now work on mapping a transparency gradient to the block disk - more opaque towards the middle, and transparent towards the edges so that the shadow goes from dark to diffuse
Edited by BabaJ - Feb. 17, 2017 22:31:27

Attachments:
Object Light Occlusion.hiplc (218.1 KB)

2038 posts
Yeah..just seeing your posted image…I don't get that with Phantom.
253 posts
Well Phantom is the same as -primary . I just called it like that because that's what it was called in previous versions

I didn't mean for you to type Phantom, but rather to select the option from the drop down.
2038 posts
Yeah..thanks for your help
  • Quick Links