Polygon modelling in Houdini 16 (first thoughts).

5095   9   2
74 posts
To start it must be said that the combination of the new Radial menu's, the improved Boolean tools and 3dConnexion device compatibility makes Houdini a far more pleasant place to do poly modelling, especially boolean based modelling, which is something I would normally avoid wherever possible in any other package. And I say this as a hardcore Modo SubD modelling artist, which has to most independent views, the best in class poly modelling toolset.

The first lesson I've learnt about Boolean modelling in Houdini 16 is that you have to completely unlearn many of the approaches you take when SubD modelling. As long as you keep this in mind, Boolean modelling in Houdini is fast and powerful.

However there are a few FR's I believe would improve the whole experience.

- Include a ‘Lock Horizon’ option for 3dConnexion devices. The tilt mechanism is something that can get in the way when poly modelling. Disabling it in the 3dConnexion preferences is insufficient as any rotations automatically includes a tilt which the artist is no longer able to counterbalance.

- Allow templated geometry to have full shading. It's difficult to gauge positioning of pre boolean geometry in the perspective view with wireframe templates. The constant need to move to an orthographic view becomes cumbersome.

- Provide a preference to set bespoke grid opacity levels. This is especially important in orthographic views where it's impossible to decipher template geometry against the grid. It might also be useful to draw wireframe geometry in orthographic views with a thicker line weight or better still make it a preference an artist can change according to need.
333 posts
- Allow templated geometry to have full shading.
If I dont misunderstand you, You can do this in the viewport Settings (shortcut D) and chose under Markers - Set Display Options for: Template Model Geometry.

Change it to hidden line ghost or any mode you prefer over wireframe
74 posts
Perfect, I hadn't realised I could already set the preference for templated geometry via the display options (which I go into at least 20 times in any lengthy session!). When you're aligning boolean cutters, it's useful to have the templated items fully or ghost shaded.

Thanks for that.
7709 posts
- Lock Horizon: Please log an enhancement request: https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/ [sidefx.com]
- Full shading for templated geometry: In the Display Options dialog > Set display options for “Template Model Geometry” > Draw > Smooth Shaded
- Not sure but you can try logging it too.
74 posts
No problem, I'll post ER's for the lock horizon and grid opacity requests.
4189 posts
Until the grid opacity happens you, can set the OrthGridColor in the Python Viewport Color Editor to a similar BG color
74 posts
Thanks for the suggestion Artye. Unfortunately Python Viewport Color editor doesn't appear to be included in the H16 examples. It's included in the last 15.5 production build but the ‘load example’ button is missing in H16.0504.20.

I'm sure it's just an oversight in the new H16 help pages so I'll investigate again when the H16 nightly builds are available.
Edited by Jonathan Moore2 - Feb. 23, 2017 21:55:07
761 posts
I'd like to create some PolyModeling tools for Houdini but I don't know Python at the moment. Although I got some great ideas, I would hope some of you would like.

I reached my 9th post; 3x3
Edited by _Christopher_ - Feb. 23, 2017 21:43:31
【T】【C】【S】
4189 posts
Jonathan Moore2
I'm sure it's just an oversight in the new H16 help pages so I'll investigate again when the H16 nightly builds are available.

It's there, on your local system help, scroll down:

/ref/windows/pythonpaneleditor
74 posts
Artye
Jonathan Moore2
It's there, on your local system help, scroll down:

/ref/windows/pythonpaneleditor

Thanks. That's very helpful indeed.

The initial build didn't have the Load button, but the 16.0.529 nightly has that remedied.

I'm finding the QT5 help a tad shaky on these early builds but I'm sure it will settle before too long.

Thanks again.
  • Quick Links