H16 Turn Off Fog In Viewport Background?

3698   13   0
2529 posts
Hi All,

While the new H16 viewport has some nice features, I wish I could turn them off. I don't want those numbers or fog in the background.

Is there any way to turn these new options off?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
83 posts
To remove the numbers on the viewport grids:
Right click the grid icon ( top right of the viewport ) and choose “no rulers.”

You also set the viewport color scheme by pressing D in the viewport and then choosing either Dark or grey as the color scheme. These schemes use a flat color. If you wish to further tweak the color settings then changing values ( top two lines ) in the “3DSceneColors.xx” file can help. You can open these files with any text editor.

Ideally, Sidefx should provide these tweaks via GUI
2529 posts
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
5156 posts
What do you mean by “fog”? The fading of the infinite plane, or the color of the background?

You can turn off the infinite plane and replace it with the construction plane ala 15.5 by toggling off the top icon on the right toolbar, and toggle on the icon below it.
1755 posts
Definitely the fading of the infinite plane is being referred to with the “fog”.
I personally don't mind it (quite the contrary), but for those who'd rather not see it, replacing the grid with the construction plane is not quite optimal. We know why.
Staff
5156 posts
Without the fade the infinite grid looks pretty awful, especially edge-on. It turns into a dark grey blob.
83 posts
It looks nice.

Is there any way to subdivide the grid on the fly while zooming in ?
Edited by nisachar - Feb. 22, 2017 17:17:42
4189 posts
I like the concept but the scaling of edge-on numbers is, how do we say, interesting

Attachments:
BigO.gif (633.1 KB)

1755 posts
twod
Without the fade the infinite grid looks pretty awful, especially edge-on. It turns into a dark grey blob.

One thing that would not require a “fog” is a finite grid. So maybe a checkbox “infinite grid” in the prefs.
2529 posts
The only reason I ask is that H16 completely crashes on my MacMINI, which is under spec. It crashes immediately when I try to navigate anywhere in the viewport. I assumed it was this new fading effect but it probably is more related to those new large ruler numbers.

Anyway, it does not matter. I know the MacMINI is not supported in any way. I just hate throwing away an i7 8 core processor when I really need more cores to do my work.

Using H15.5 I at least could dabble around in apprentice and try out things. With H16 I am completely shut down on the OSX Mac platform.
Edited by Enivob - Feb. 24, 2017 15:33:42
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
5156 posts
Try turning off the Rulers in the RMB menu of the grid toggle, top of the right toolbar and see if that helps the mini.
2529 posts
@twod: Thanks, I turned off the Reference Plane/Ortho Grid and that seemed to do the trick. I am running H16 on the MacMINI with only 1.5GB of vRam Intel HD4000.

At least I can dabble now
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
5156 posts
Good to hear. We noticed that the Mac Mini had an “interesting interpretation” of the ruler number shader just after release day. I think we might simply disable that option on the Mini.
7 posts
Just wanted to chip in – spent a few hours this morning trying to get H16 to run on a mid-2012 MacBook Air and @twod's tip to turn off numbers on the grid saved my bacon.

Before I did that, literally any mouse interaction would crash Houdini. Basically, consistent continually crashing just by clicking-and-dragging in the viewport.

Thanks!
  • Quick Links