Anyone else wish we could get tab to complete tab menu selection (act as enter)?

4467   15   2
99 posts
As someone who doesn't like to reach across the keyboard and has their right hand on the mouse, I'd like to be able to do tab as enter to make a selection in the tab menu when making nodes. Surprised this isn't on by default since Houdini is so UNIX-ish otherwise
Staff
3455 posts
do you mean TAB > start typing to choose a node then TAB again to select it?
not a bad RFE : https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/ [sidefx.com]
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1755 posts
Great idea - definitely an interaction improvement.
On the same note, I wish SESI will come at some point with an improvement for other viewport tools' interaction because right now, having to press Return for modeling operations, bone drawing, etc. is rather cumbersome. RMB was an elegant solution, I wish the problem that caused this change had been solved w/o replacing RMB for finishing a picking session or a tool exit.
7733 posts
no, tab is for when you picked the wrong thing, and want to try again.
1755 posts
jsmack

As is the Esc key.
99 posts
ya, which reinforces my point: you don't need two keys right next to each other to do the same thing. Anyway, I'm not saying it should be the default but it would be a nice option. It's how Maya works as well
99 posts
McNistor
On the same note, I wish SESI will come at some point with an improvement for other viewport tools' interaction because right now, having to press Return for modeling operations, bone drawing, etc. is rather cumbersome. RMB was an elegant solution, I wish the problem that caused this change had been solved w/o replacing RMB for finishing a picking session or a tool exit.

Ya, in Maya, you generally can press the y key to act as an enter by reinvoking the existing tool, so you can okay and move onto the next joint, etc
Edited by cgbeige - Feb. 23, 2017 12:49:33
253 posts
Not sure. I just make my right thumb go for the Enter key in the numkeypad
253 posts
Hitting tab again is very useful to me when I mistype and want to start typing again.

Edit* As jsmack said
Edited by A-OC - Feb. 23, 2017 14:36:47
1755 posts
cgbeige
ya, which reinforces my point: you don't need two keys right next to each other to do the same thing

I know, that's why I said it, I was on “your side”

A-OC
Not sure. I just make my right thumb go for the Enter key in the numkeypad

Not everyone has a numpad featured keyboard and quite a few users are using their tablets in H

A-OC
Hitting tab again is very useful to me when I mistype and want to start typing again.
Edit* As jsmack said

Yes and my answer is that Esc key does exactly the same thing and it's just 2-3 cm away.

How about using Space instead of Enter? It wouldn't force users to move their hands across their kb and it would also allow hitting Tab again for those that Esc is not an option?
253 posts
McNistor
How about using Space instead of Enter?

Not cool: If I want “Attribute Transfer” I type: at *space* tr
Edited by A-OC - Feb. 23, 2017 15:05:30
1755 posts
You sure you don't want to trade a trip across the keyboard to get to Enter for a finger reach to Esc though?
I know you found the perfect solution for yourself, thumb on Enter numpad, but there are others that would greatly benefit from this (pressing Tab again).

Either way, I'm getting off at this station. You carry on
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - Feb. 23, 2017 15:12:39
253 posts
McNistor
but there are others

If “others” get close to 20 or 30% then sure, I think sesi should make it an option, but not change it all together.
2035 posts
Sorry..I don't get it…

“As someone who doesn't like to reach across the keyboard and has their right hand on the mouse, I'd like to be able to do tab as enter to make a selection in the tab menu when making nodes. Surprised this isn't on by default since Houdini is so UNIX-ish otherwise”

are you one hand typing? “..has their right hand on the mouse…”

Even still, sometimes the last necessary letter needed to get the node you want ends up being closer to “Enter” rather than “Tab”…so your still having to “travel” across the keyboard.

But I guess in your case in most cases it's the other way around.
7733 posts
If you are one-hand typing/navigating the menu, clicking on the item also serves to pick it for creation, preventing a reach-over.
12427 posts
jsmack

Agreed. I think Nuke has something going like the requested behaviour, and it drives me up the wall. Tab-Tab won't open-close, it'll open-createsomething.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
  • Quick Links