Copying Chop 'Node' to Object Level

1357   1   1
2036 posts
Hello,

Are Chop Networks somehow different when created within a geomtery node than when created at the object level?

There does seem to be a difference between Null nodes ( at least their icons are different ).

I created a Chop network within a geometry node with many added parameters.

I want to be able to copy it to other files at the object level( and to keep this post short, I can't turn it into a digital asset, which it originaly was ).

Everytime I try to do so though ( select/copy chop node only ), when I paste it on the object level it also brings along the geometry node that contains it.

I just want the chop ‘node’.

From what I can tell a chop network node is the same type whether at the object level or within a geometry node.

I'm guessing there is just some ‘linkage’ going on between my chop node and the geometry node.

The functioning of the chop node has no dependancy on the geometry node that I created, other than what Houdini may have done when I first layed down the Chop node inside it.

I could simply re-create the Chop Node at the object level, but if there is something else I could do to break this ‘linkage’, it would save hours of work.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by BabaJ - Feb. 24, 2017 12:09:33
Staff
476 posts
This is an old limitation that we need to fix and it happens not only for CHOPnets but for all the other manager node types. This happens also on SHOPnet at the OBJ level vs the SOP level.
The copy/paste code won't even try making the copy since it sees it as node with an invalid network type.
I've hit the problem a lot of time with the new CHOP constraints and we are already aware of it.
As a workaround you can copy the nodes inside the CHOPnet, create an empty CHOPnet and paste inside of it.

Another limitation of the manager nodes is that you can't make an HDA directly out of them, so it's better not adding parameter interface to them in hope of making an HDA later on.
  • Quick Links