16 is amazing!

3015   5   0
28 posts
After a day or so with testing I can safely say…16 is total win!

* Best boolean algorithms I have ever seen…the resulting geo is looking better than siemens NX, which is a dedicated boolean solid modeller.

* Best hair solution of any dcc app now

These alone would have made it a solid release but theres so much more

/Hats off for SideFX!
2036 posts
Yeah…I keep seeing lots of little things that make a difference…

* I no longer have to quit Houdini and restart if I want to have new changes made to an external python file that is referenced by python source editor to be updated.

* Can now drag parameters into Animation window that are driven by Chop export.

* Changed visual flags for nodes in Chop network ( flagging one doesn't unflag the rest ); always had to shift-click visual flags before.

* Chop nodes now have output flags ( in addition to export ).

* The numbering and infinite grid is really usefull to me, although I've read others ‘dislike’ it.
Edited by BabaJ - Feb. 23, 2017 18:38:40
402 posts
BabaJ
* Can now drag parameters into Animation window that are driven by Chop export.

Hello there,

Could you fill me in on this one? Sounds intriguing…
Henry Dean
83 posts
Dan Bertilsson
Best boolean algorithms I have ever seen

Easily. Booleans finally make sense as a modeling tool.
2036 posts
Could you fill me in on this one? Sounds intriguing…

Ok…simple example..say you create a waveform in Chops…then export that waveform with an export node to drive a transforms ty paramrter - which is controlling a spheres' up and down movement.

You know its being driven by the export node because it turns orange (the transforms ty parameter). Well before you could not drag that ty parameter into the Animation Editor.

Actually you could, but you had to find yourself an unused parameter and do a relative parameter reference, then drop it into the Animation Editor.

Now you can skip that step. Just more convenient.
14 posts
[quote= Dan Bertilsson
* Best boolean algorithms I have ever seen…the resulting geo is looking better than siemens NX, which is a dedicated boolean solid modeller.

I'ts more than amazing. Boolean has been a problem in every other applications, but the cuts are nice an clean in Houdini 16.

I did a quick test here. It is a pighead cutting another pighead using the new boolean node. I added another bolean noded and used the seam option and conected it to a polywire node.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwsMzw-4tik [youtube.com]

Reco
Edited by Reco - Feb. 25, 2017 04:10:09
  • Quick Links