Making/Reviewing Tutorials - Bit off topic, but best simplest Screengrap software.

2412   2   1
12 posts
Hi folks,

As I used to do training on the Softimage products, review and devise Instructor Certification too on the tecky side, I thought once up to speed I'd do some tutorials and record me running through any toutorials out their to review them, to see what might be able to be improved upon.

Anyway hit the most simplest of snags, can I find the screencapture software I used to use, can I heck. It was really nice and simple capturing video, audio, keystrokes, mouse (displaying them nice and visually), Direct X, OGL, but really super simple.

Any recommends would be peachy, Ideally next to nothing on cost, as coming back after a spell out due to disability and not working yet.

Cheers,
Sam
806 posts
Moin, Sam,

I now use the NVidia GeForce Experience capturing, which does the H.264 encoding on the GPU, so it does not drain that much CPU cycles that most other recording tools come with. Besides the output files are pretty well compressed without loosing detail. If you have an NVidia card installed, that's pretty free (except for the idiotic you-have-to-register-BS).

There is a bunch of free recording software out there, what I used for quite some time was Open Broadcast Studio (https://obsproject.com/ [obsproject.com] ) - quite a few more settings to tweak to get the best balance of quality/FPS/CPU drain, but very reliable, plus it has a basic editing system built in with highlighting, zoom drive etc. I think you can even visualize mouse/key clicks, as they get recorded into a native format (and you can export MP4 out of that).

I hope this helps.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
12 posts
Super, Danke Marc,

I had actually download OBS for its live streaming capabilities, put parked it for the moment as it was not emmediately obvious it had any functionality on the mouse/key click recording/displaying, so I'll do a bit more digging & fiddling thanks to your recommend.

I definitely push any processing to GPU a given, abliet working on a cranky old laptop that's barely coping with anything I remotely do, let alone anything challenging, is as frustrating as heck. Let's put it this way doing this rudimentary test fiddling in other apps was completely crashing it let alone trying to capture video on top of that, would be impossible. So heres hoping on some paid work soon coming back after disability, so I can have the best hardware & software to get groovy with like I used too.

(The initial fiddling for Replicant X - System [artstation.com] )
Edited by Paramojo Org UK - March 1, 2017 18:36:58
  • Quick Links