how can i add an image attribute to an attribute wrangle node?

2675   4   1
1 posts
hey guys,

Im new to houdini and trying to recreate this awesome pixel replace effect by Ryan Cashman (assassins creed)
https://youtu.be/pwhpIdtFFgY?t=2940. [youtu.be]

In the attachment you can see there is a path to an image in the top, but when i create a new wrangle node i have no option to add an image.

Can somebody help me add this to my node?

Thanks!
Jamie

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 12.09.05 AM.png (163.2 KB)

483 posts
If you need the node often, then convert it to an digital asset.
See here:
http://www.the-final.com/houdini/Color_Test.mp4 [the-final.com]

Have a search for HDA (Houdini Digital Asset) at yout fav. websearch, too.

Hope that's helpy.

Added Point Width anim should start at frame ~25
Edited by matthias_k - Feb. 28, 2017 15:46:54

Attachments:
color_test.hda (5.4 KB)
color_test_play_anim.hip (130.9 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
483 posts
Forgotten to say: Have a look at “Attribute Transfer”, too.
Maybe more flexible than a pure image based solution.

And a last link:
https://www.google.de/search?q=plexus+in+houdini [google.de]

;-)
Edited by matthias_k - Feb. 28, 2017 16:12:36

Attachments:
color_test_play_anim_02.hip (139.6 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
2036 posts
In your wrangle node you do have the option to add an image.

By creating the parameter like the person did in the example you show.

In your parameter window for the attribute wrangle left click the gear symbol.

This will give you a list of options. What you want is “Edit Parameter Interface”

Now you will have another window come up with basicly three main sections - Create Parameters, Existing Paramters and Parameter Description.

Parameter Description will change according to which item you have selected under Existing Parameters.

What you want to do is click and drag from Create Parameters the item called “string” ( it has a red symbol associated with it)- over to Existing Paramters. Once you've dragged it over to Existing Paramters, make sure it is selected.

When selected have a look over at the Parameter Description section and make sure the Parameter tab is active.

Rigth at the top of that Parameter tab section is a text box called “Name” which has the default ‘parm’ typed in it.

The next line is the label. In your code if you want to refer to this parameter you just dragged over you must refer to the name of ‘parm’, but you can change the name to anything you want. In the example you've shown he/she named it “image”.

Once you have the name and label typed the way you want make sure to click on “Apply” so the changes are made.

Just a little hint. In the future if you do add a bunch of new paramters. Make sure you at least press Enter or click in the box for your label and names before doing another different parameter or else your entries will be lost. Of course you can just click Apply to make sure changes are keep.

Then once everything is set up to your liking, click Accept to get rid of the window.

Now, if you've name the new paramter ‘image’ like the example you've given. In your code you reference that with chs(“image”).

For integer parameters use chi, for float paramters use chf.

I typicaly only use integers and floats for most of my need and in the beggining only ever used ch instead of chi or chf.

I've never had problems doing it that way, but you will get green warnings about casting.

So I've now gotten into the habit of using the ‘appropriate’ ch version so as to keep the code window looking clean and left only with the ‘true’ errors when I make mistakes - Quicker to debug with less distractions.
Edited by BabaJ - Feb. 28, 2017 16:18:09
2036 posts
Just a quick edit…depending on where you drag and drop your new paramter will determine where it shows up in your paramter window. You can drag and place it a different position in the list and that will get reflected in what you see. Just thought I would mention this in case you don't see it at the top like in your example.
  • Quick Links