Point instanced ocean spectra not deforming flat tank

3050   8   0
184 posts
Hey,

I don't know whether this is a bug or not but I can't use two merged ocean spectra with point instancing on them to deform the guided ocean layer. Thats strange because I can object merge this merged spectra and deform a grid. Why is this happening? I want a large ocean to get merged with a flip sim. Not wanting to use the new edge extension system but it would be helpful to have the same spectra be applied on the flip particles as well as on the grid.
Edited by Rosko Ron - March 5, 2017 18:20:26

Attachments:
deform.png (479.5 KB)

184 posts
Applied on a grid in works totally fine

Attachments:
grid.png (718.4 KB)

184 posts
Hellooo, sidefx?
Staff
809 posts
Tomorrow's daily build (16.0.543) will have some updates to improve OceanEvaluate/OceanSource's handling of point-instanced oceans. Would you mind trying it your file in that version and submitting a bug if you still see problems?

Thanks
184 posts
There is just H160.542 for windows. Just tried this but there is a big difference in the evaluation of flip and geometry. Disabling point instancing makes it work again.

It would be great if this could get finxed pretty soon. Trying some workarounds to merge large oceans with flip but it isnt looking that fine.
Edited by Rosko Ron - March 10, 2017 18:21:26

Attachments:
Untitled.png (449.0 KB)
Untitled2.png (461.1 KB)

Staff
809 posts
Hmm, I'm not seeing the same problem, even with versions older than 16.0.543. Do you mind attaching the file you have above here (or even better, submitting a bug?)
184 posts
Are you trzing it with point instancing on the ocean spectrum? without point instancing it works here too. doesnt need a special file. just make a new guided ocean lazer and imput some points o a grid into the spectrum and see if the deformation of the flip tank still works fine.

the bug I submitted zesterdaz.
Edited by Rosko Ron - March 11, 2017 12:00:38
Staff
809 posts
Ah, I suspect the problem is your point instances aren't on the zero Y plane? What's happening in that case is from the perspective of the OceanEvaluate, your particles and grid are below the ocean surface. However, only the OceanSource has the Depth Falloff set to Exponential by Frequency, so only the particles are showing the effect of being underwater, while the ocean_preview SOP is set to None, so it deforms the preview grid as if it were at the surface.

The bug here is that the ocean_preview should likely be tied to match the Depth Falloff of the OceanSource, although that is a more expensive evaluation. In the meantime you can either change the ocean_preview to Exponential by Frequency for Depth Falloff, or make sure your point instances are on the zero-y plane; either way they should then match, I believe.
Edited by johner - March 11, 2017 13:30:33
184 posts
Alright, seems to work this time

Attachments:
scatter.png (770.0 KB)

• Quick Links