H16 different FitRangeClamped Node?!

2246   4   1
3 posts
Hello guys! I'm having what may well be some kind of a newbie stupid question.I was watching a tutorial in wich H15 is being used to make lava. I'm using H16. In the first steps inside a VOPattribute a UVcoord is linked to a TurbNoise Perlin, followed by a FitRangeClamped and a Ramp to the Cd channel in the Attrib. The problem is I cannot see any results… I found that the only aparent difference is my FitRangeClamped node. It does not have the same outputs that the H15 has. (Which are fitval and isact…) The one available in H16 only has a “shift” in the output possibilities.

The screenshot i'm leaving is the one from h15. I'm familiar with the language and the context by the use of other 3D apps. But since these are my first steps in Houdini I would like to shed zome light over this.

Thanks in advance. Glad to join the comunity. Cheers from Portugal!

Attachments:
nodesh15.png (95.4 KB)

7759 posts
That's a fit range UNclamped, also known as ‘extrapolate’. I'm not sure if that is what you want, but it does behave the same as the H15 version. The version your screenshot is from 12 or 13, which had some unnecessary complexity (python ui promotion/active toggle) removed in release 15.
3 posts
Thanks for the answer. Well, yup, my bad. I meant UNclamped all the time. You may also be right about the version of the screenshot. Well, my problem still persists. I created that same node chain and the result keeps not showing. As you can see that is a way of controlling the intensity of the blacks and whites generated in the noise… My problem persists and no result is shown… Jiggling the sliders and the onli thing i get is a plain white to black gradient. I'm starting to think it's got something to do with the texture mapping or so. Up a level is a Sphere with a UVproject, followed by mountain and the attribVop. So… I must be doing something really wrong.
7759 posts
The uv coords are created on vertices by default. You would need to run your color noise code over vertices if you want to access the value by directly binding it like that. Alternatively you can create uvs on the points, but there is no way to define the value on the seam, because both values are represented by a single point.

Irrespective of the uv coordinates working, you don't put noise on a sphere using uvs–there is a seam, and pinching at the poles. Sphere space is better mapped in cartesian space–use the position directly.
3 posts
Points, that was it! Well, I wasn't much interested in making the UV seamless or something like that… But yes, my mistake, as I would advised was just stupid. Outside the pointVOP in the UVproject I was using Vertex mode instead of Point. Thanks a lot for the tip! I'll keep digging! Solved.
  • Quick Links