"Waterfall Flip Fluids Webinar Tutorial"

14188   34   4
253 posts
Not a Point SOP, just render the points coming from the sim but tweak the pscale first with a wrangle.
72 posts
I'm also getting this error in my whitewater sim. I have a feeling maybe it's why I have no floating surface foam?
Edited by Sneil - Feb. 13, 2017 23:18:21

Attachments:
WhitewaterSimError.jpg (752.3 KB)

253 posts
It looks like the ww solver is not getting the field data from the flip sim. Maybe you deleted it ?
72 posts
The field data? As in the cached sim files? Not sure what you mean exactly or where that data is located. I've deleted old cached sim files then re-cooked and saved the simulation again while making sure everything is pointing to the new files…
253 posts
The field data is in the sim files created by the flip simulation, this data is needed by the ww solver, if I recall correctly, I don't have houdini right now.
72 posts
MUCH BETTER! I deleted Volume Rasterize Particles and that worked like a charm!

Attachments:
WhitewaterDROPLETS.jpg (1.4 MB)

2 posts
I am also trying to follow this same tutorial, but having much trouble as version 16 is behaving quite differently than his version 12.. If anyone can point me to updated information on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated. Sneil, I would love to be able to learn from your experiences.
72 posts
Absolutely, it's actually much simpler now then what it was in H12. I'll come up with something when I get home, maybe a quick video tutorial. Where are you having most of your isssues?
6 posts
Hi,

I am creating a waterfall simulation too in Houdini 15, to integrate into a Matt painting, and I cant figure out how to get the spherical particles in the screen shot below, to become more foam like and not so geometric. They are part of the whitewater simulation and i've searched a lot online and asked people and gone through the nodes, but cant figure out how to fix it?

Is there maybe a way to create a material for just those particles and change it to a more foam like texture and consistency or smoke, or is there a better way to do it?

Your guys stuff looks amazing compared to mine atm :') I would really appreciate any help, as this is my first time using Houdini, and I am working to a fast approaching deadline for uni (less then 3 wks away )!

Thanks!

PS I tried what you guys were discussing but I just cant seem to get anything to change with the perfect spheres, im very new to Houdini so please explain in a very basic way if you know a solution so I can follow haha
Edited by BexyWins22 - April 11, 2017 09:26:01

Attachments:
SCreen shot.jpg (419.3 KB)

72 posts
Sorry, I can take a closer look when I get home. To me you want the spheres for whitewater as really that's what it is, water broken down into small droplets. You can add the mist shelf tool with the whitewater droplets for a combined effect to get something like this below although be sure to have a lot of room on your hard drive for caching the sim. But I can help you better if you're still wanting to get rid of the spheres later tonight when I get to my PC as I'm still in a learning phase as well. For now try making the droplets smaller and maybe up the birth rate to produce more of them to get a better foam effect.
Edited by Sneil - April 11, 2017 08:36:17

Attachments:
untitled4.jpg (964.3 KB)

6 posts
Thank you I think I already tried playing with as many settings as possible but nothing seemed to be effecting the spheres. I don't have Houdini at home, but I will post the file on here anyways and maybe you could take a look later on if that's ok? I am concerned my whole file might just be broken, because when I opened a new Houdini file and created a quick emitter and whitewater it seemed to work straight off the bat, a lot better. Not rendering spheres but more foam like looking

I will try what you suggested again and maybe adding the mist to if can get the whitewater working. I am currently caching out the base water simulation to bring it into a new file and add whitewater then, to see if it works. If I can get both base and whitewater working separately in the files, then I can just combine them in post.

There's only 2 tutors in the uni that know Houdini, and they aren't around over Easter to help really, so I'm just tryna figure it out on my own and over emailing them haha So greatly appreciate your help!

Attachments:
Waterfall 14.hipnc (3.6 MB)

6 posts
Hi,

I think I may ave fixed it at long last! :O I dont really know what I did but the static object was for some reason the problem. Now tips to make it look better and with regards to the black behind the foam would be good?
Edited by BexyWins22 - April 11, 2017 10:31:02

Attachments:
Picture1.jpg (380.3 KB)

72 posts
I looked at your file and there is quite a lot going on in there that is now unnecessary since Houdini 12. I dont have a mic to make a tutorial right now which I think would be the quickest and easiest thing to do, but I'm working on a basic file for whitewater with notes inside demonstrating each step. The key to making it look nice has a lot to do with scale using Particle Separation and particle Radius Scale on your flip fluid. From there add the whitewater shelf tool to your FLIP fluid then scale the sphere size for the whitewater adjusting the @pscale of the attribwrangle inside whitewater_import which is generated after using the whitewater shelf tool on your FLIP fluid.

So, instead of creating the time_shift setup to create the whitewater as is the method used in the tutorial, just use the whitewater shelf tool on the fluid, much easier. From there you can tweak your foam to get much better results.

I'll finish up this demo file tomorrow, almost done.
Edited by Sneil - April 12, 2017 00:32:27
6 posts
Hi,

Thank you for taking a look :-) Yeah I realized there was a lot of stuff no longer needed so have deleted them now and am playing with the settings today to hopefully make it look better.

Looking forward to seeing the demo/tutorial when you make it!

Thank you for all your help so far too
6 posts
I have managed to adjust the whitewater to look a little better with shaders and settings but any idea why im getting the black bits?

Attachments:
material whitewater.jpg (392.8 KB)

• Quick Links