Dynamic Flower and Growth effects?

8537   4   1
42 posts
Hello! I love the work done here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbw82uS0xI [youtube.com]

I would love some insight as to how this might have been done and how I could replicate some of the animation and procedural modeling and growth effects… I have been taring my hair out looking for a tutorial more relevant to this type of plant versus a tree or bush.

More artistically directed visually pleasing flowers and smaller vines/plants is the look development I'm going for and I would like any and all help you guys can give me! If you know of any tutorials, resources or other things I could use please let me know!

I'm also curious if studios usually *make* the plants and trees using Houdini or pull them from some other software/nature generation software and somehow use it in conjunction with Houdini for their needs.

Please please please let me know any info you can helps a newbie like me!

Thanks for your time!!!!

Attachments:
Metamorphosis.jpg (88.4 KB)

2529 posts
I did locate a blooming flower tutorial for 3DSMax [youtube.com].

But the basic Houdini concept would be that you start with a single animated petal. The petal can be animated using a bend. Then you copy it to a circle and perhaps add some time offset so the petals opening is not synchronized.
Edited by Enivob - March 24, 2017 09:25:25

Attachments:
petals.gif (457.5 KB)
Untitled-1.jpg (244.9 KB)
ap_petals_open.hiplc (82.5 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
42 posts
Thanks for the post! I think I understand how that opening flower might work, but then there's the whole concept of the growing vine and leaves it originated from, and how it all develops into the plant final form which is what really pushes forward the animation.
42 posts
Anybody else have any thoughts? :\
2529 posts
I just ran across toadstorm's site. He has a nice example file of a vine unfolding it's leaves.
http://www.toadstorm.com/blog/?p=214 [toadstorm.com]

The .HIP file is all the way at the bottom of the post.
Edited by Enivob - May 6, 2017 14:14:15
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links