Houdini Apprentice - Crash on Startup

2355   4   0
2 posts
Hi,

When opening Houdini FX (I'm just using an Apprentice license), I'm presented with a blank, non-responsive “Start Here” window. That's as far as the program ever gets. It sits there until I try to close it. At that time Windows opens a dialog telling me the program isn't responding and asks if I would like to debug or close the program.

I reinstalled, rebooted, etc and still have the same problem.

I've had this problem before, but for some reason it began to work again after a time, up until last night.

Has anyone else encountered this? I haven't been able to find posts detailing any similar kind of problem.

System Specs:
Windows 10
Intel Core i5 3337U
Intel HD Graphics 4000
8GB RAM

EDIT: I don't think Houdini terminated in an unusual way before this started happening. If it did, I had put my computer in sleep mode while it was still running, but as far as I can recall I exited the program normally and a short time later encountered this issue upon trying to run it.
Edited by ryana - March 29, 2017 18:54:57
2036 posts
Small chance….are you running anything else at the same time when opening Houdini that may be taking a good chunk of memory?

Before you run Houdini open Task Manager and have a look and see how much memory is being used by other processes.
2 posts
34% of memory was being used when I opened it, and Houdini only raised it to 37%. The same thing happened.

(Thanks for replying!)
7709 posts
If you haven't changed Houdini versions from when it worked to when it didn't, then I wonder if it was a Windows 10 update. Or perhaps you installed/updated some other programs that happened to start introducing some sort of conflict.
Staff
3455 posts
your graphics card is near the bottom of those supported - be sure to get the latest drivers.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links