Questions about suction fluid tool

3874   4   0
3 posts
Hi everyone
I'm messing around with the new suction fluid tool and I have several questions about it:

1 - Is it normal that my particles fill my mesh first then stack on the outside?

2 - To avoid the result of the first question I add a static solver on my mesh but my particles don't stick on the surface. Is there a solution or this technique is not recommended for this situation?

I have a lot of ideas using this tool but because I'm new to Houdini 16 and there is no tutorial about it make me struggle a bit!

Thanks!
Staff
635 posts
Best to attach a hip file so we can take a good look at your approach.

In terms of tutorials for suction fluids, here are two links:

https://vimeo.com/204584694 [vimeo.com]

https://vimeo.com/209763376 [vimeo.com]
3 posts
Thank you for the reply!

I've already seen the two tutorials you've mentionned and my scene is really simple (a flip tank and a box to reproduce the first tutorial) but it is the behavior of the particles that I don't understand and the explications about it are really light. After a few test, I realize static solver is not a good choice.

Now my problem is when I stop the suction my particles outside my box fall but those inside stay. Is it a parameter that I don't manage properly or is it suppose to act that way so my mesh “appear” (I think it is suppose to act this way but I need a confirmation).

I attach a hip file of my scene.

Thank you

Attachments:
suction_fluid_test.hiplc (1.8 MB)

73 posts
It is normal for the particles to fill up the inside volume of the mesh first. Once the inside volume is full, the particles will create a layer outside the mesh depending on the “outside distance” value. It is possible to change this but it would require modifying the VEX code. What type of look are you trying to achieve?

You might find that your particles remain inside the mesh after turning the suction force off if the anti-gravity is still active. You will need to turn the suction strength and anti-gravity strength to zero for the particles inside the mesh to fall properly.

I hope this helps!
Ryan
3 posts
Thank you Ryan for your reply!

I manage to achieve what I want by changing the size of the tank using keyframes instead of modifying the suction strength and it worked pretty well!

Problem soved!!
  • Quick Links