Fidget Cube - First time with Houdini

4770   8   3
2 posts
Hi all,

I'm a Maya user and this is my very first work with Houdini. I'm not a FX artist so I'm taking a look at the modeling and rendering part.

For the modeling it's nice for procedural but I'm not very comfortable with the hard surface approche. It was an hard time for me to have nice bevel with the booleans and correct normals without loosing the softness of the asset, and I like to have a proper geometry I can subdiv at the end in the render (it's not the case here). So for now, unfortunly I think I can't use Houdini for props modeling, except for some specific props where it could be very powerfull (and for digital assets of course).

But for the rendering part, woaw I love it! Very powerfull and very smart, this soft is so amazing and I don't have seen all of the features yet!

I will continue to dig into this incredible software because I like it very much!

Images on my Artstation : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PkeGr [artstation.com]

Thank you!
Edited by Wibration - April 1, 2017 07:07:23

Attachments:
FidgetCube_SOLO_v01_1.png (619.7 KB)
FidgetCube_v02_1.png (876.8 KB)
FidgetCube_v02_2.png (936.6 KB)
FidgetCube_v02_3.png (943.5 KB)
houdinifx_2017-03-31_23-46-20.png (859.9 KB)
houdinifx_2017-03-31_23-58-35.png (288.6 KB)

Staff
635 posts
Very nice work!

When you have a chance, would you mind posting a hip file that shows how Houdini 16 fails your expectations with respect to modelling with Boolean+Bevel? We might be able to learn from it for future R&D.

Thanks,

Cristin
2 posts
cb
When you have a chance, would you mind posting a hip file that shows how Houdini 16 fails your expectations with respect to modelling with Boolean+Bevel? We might be able to learn from it for future R&D.

Yes of course, here is the zip file and I join 2 screenshots to show you what I mean by “the normal break the softness of the object”. the big bevel on the main cube appear more harden everytime I add a normal and in my render I loose the softness of the model.

For the boolean+bevel issue, very often I have black triangles so I need to tweak my bevel to find an in-beetwen without normals issues. I think it's a tesselation issue so it's normal but it's still anoying (and I think I use it in the wrong way).

Thank you for your time!

Attachments:
houdinifx_2017-04-01_17-47-05.png (632.2 KB)
houdinifx_2017-04-01_17-47-11.png (647.2 KB)
FidgetCube_MathieuMaurel.hipnc (541.1 KB)

483 posts
Example where the new boolean results in wrong cuts.

Attachments:
dach-boolean.hip (70.2 KB)
Dach-error.jpg (380.7 KB)
Dach-right.jpg (388.5 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
Staff
635 posts
matthias_k
Example where the new boolean results in wrong cuts.

Several boolean bugs have been fixed since 16.0.504.20. Please try the latest cut of Houdini 16 and let us know if the problem is still there.(I am away from my computer right now, and cannot check.)

Cristin
483 posts
Hi Cristin,

bug is still there in 16.0.557
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
210 posts
The boolean example does show a bug. I'll post here when it's fixed.
210 posts
This must be fixed in today's build.
1 posts
I am very glad that most of you guys like this Hand Fidget Spinner Focus Toy EDC !
  • Quick Links