Procedural UV mapping for wall with a window/door.

3195   4   1
33 posts
Greetings awesome Houdini community, allow me to ask a newbie question please, I'm creating a simple procedural wall in which I carved a hole using Bool SOP for a window.
1.- how can I UVmap the New Primitives (created after the Bool SOP) so that they fit exactly in the correct UV Area of the hole of the Wall UVs so that the Wall Primitives and New Primitives blend nicely when applying materials?
2.- how can I keep the New Primitives UVs procedural so that they change correctly in relation to the wall UVs when I change position/dimensions of the boolean primitive for the window.
the problem is illustrated in the next pictures thanks for reading……..
Edited by apaza610 - April 10, 2017 12:58:42

Attachments:
proceduralSimpleWall.jpg (286.6 KB)
BlenderUVs.jpg (279.9 KB)

118 posts
up, relevant to my interests.

Is there any chance to see how UVs are unwrapped in the second (correct) example?
33 posts
Andr1
up, relevant to my interests.

Is there any chance to see how UVs are unwrapped in the second (correct) example?
The correct one is just non procedural Blender UV unwrapping.
Edited by apaza610 - April 11, 2017 08:33:18
323 posts
Hi there,
ok to do this full procedural ist not that easy to explain.
You need to put pins at the corners of your seems and move the pins to the same position on the uv.
Or you use http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/sop/uvfuse [sidefx.com] UVFUSE…

Your blender model has an “issue” that is overlapping UVs. That might be ok in some cases but in some its not ok.
If you paint dirt on to your windowsill you will have the same dirt on the side of the wall.

To do this 100% procedurally is not that easy, as Houdini does not automagically know what you are after.
But you could create a setup for this special case that would do what you are after.

kind regards

Olaf
33 posts
Thank you Olaf, I will try it right now, I can accept UV overlap but no UV stretching so it will be OK, thanks again for your tips
  • Quick Links