6751   8   5
160 posts
Hi ,I need your help
After I start help from menus ,I can't get into any part of the help
Get following errors.

500 Internal server error

The page at /basics/_index produced an error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.673/python27/lib/site-packages-forced\flask\app.py”, line 1817, in wsgi_app
response = self.full_dispatch_request()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.673/python27/lib/site-packages-forced\flask\app.py”, line 1477, in full_dispatch_request
rv = self.handle_user_exception(e)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.673/python27/lib/site-packages-forced\flask\app.py”, line 1381, in handle_user_exception
reraise(exc_type, exc_value, tb)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.673/python27/lib/site-packages-forced\flask\app.py”, line 1475, in full_dispatch_request
rv = self.dispatch_request()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.673/python27/lib/site-packages-forced\flask\app.py”, line 1461, in dispatch_request
return self.view_functions(**req.view_args)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.673/houdini/python2.7libs\bookish\flaskapp.py”, line 273, in show
stylesname=stylespath)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.673/houdini/python2.7libs\bookish\wikipages.py”, line 504, in html
searcher=searcher, allow_redirect=allow_redirect)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.673/houdini/python2.7libs\bookish\wikipages.py”, line 368, in json
jsondata = self.get_cached_json(path, jsonpath)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.673/houdini/python2.7libs\bookish\wikipages.py”, line 302, in get_cached_json
cachedt = self._cache_file_dt(sourcepath, cachepath)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.673/houdini/python2.7libs\bookish\wikipages.py”, line 281, in _cache_file_dt
if store.exists(sourcepath) and cstore.exists(cachepath):
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.673/houdini/python2.7libs\bookish\stores.py”, line 252, in exists
return os.path.exists(self.file_path(path))
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.673/houdini/python2.7libs\bookish\stores.py”, line 244, in file_path
return os.path.join(self.dirpath, path)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.673/python27\lib\ntpath.py”, line 108, in join
path += “\\” + b
Edited by flyingc - Feb. 11, 2017 22:02:55
806 posts
Interesting … which version are you using?
I had the same thing happening to me last night - a couple of times. What fixed it for me was to quit Houdini, make sure that all Houdini tasks actually ended, then start a new session and build a very simple, fundamental scene (a geometry node, done). THEN “help” would work again.

Since I could not reproduce the “lock up” situation I did not file a bug - but if it happens for more users than just one or two, there must be something specific we can figure out …

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
3 posts
This happens to me all the time. Both at home and at work. Currently on latest 16 build.
1743 posts
If it's on Windows, it might be related to network permissions. Houdini starts a help webserver internally on 127.0.0.1 (localhost) for use by the help browser, and for some reason, Windows blocks this unless you allow Houdini to have access to the network, even though it seems strange that it'd block access to localhost for a server that it creates itself.

When I run Houdini for the first time after installing it on Windows 7, it usually asks me if I want to grant it access to the network. If I don't hit Accept, I get that error when I try to access the help.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
3 posts
I'm getting Python errors when I access the Help Browser, too. I can open help and the links work, though. I checked Windows Firewall, and Houdini has permission. I'm using Houdini Apprentice 16.0.504.20. I tried malbrecht's suggestion to shut down all Houdini processes and restart, but it didn't totally fix the problem for me.

Here's an example of what I'm seeing:

Exception happened during processing of request from ('127.0.0.1', 60982)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.20\python27\lib\SocketServer.py”, line 593, in
process_request_thread
self.finish_request(request, client_address)
File “C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.20\python27\lib\SocketServer.py”, line 334, in
finish_request
self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
File “C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.20\python27\lib\SocketServer.py”, line 651, in
__init__
self.finish()
File “C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.20\python27\lib\SocketServer.py”, line 710, in
finish
self.wfile.close()
File “C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.20\python27\lib\socket.py”, line 279, in close
self.flush()
File “C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.20\python27\lib\socket.py”, line 303, in flush
self._sock.sendall(view)
error: An established connection was aborted by the software in your h
ost machine

I just reported the issue to Support, but I'm not sure whether it's actually a bug or not.
806 posts
Moin,

please keep reporting this (and everything else around docs) - the socket thing “catnip” just mentioned is something I have reported twice at least (including bug reports), it happens frequently here. It was supposed to have been fixed, but keeps popping up.
As far as I can see, it is only a “debug report”, informing the developer that a connection was prematurely ended by one of the parties, something that in networking happens all the time, so this message should not be published to the user, I think.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
Staff
466 posts
malbrecht
Moin,
the socket thing “catnip” just mentioned is something I have reported twice at least (including bug reports), it happens frequently here. It was supposed to have been fixed, but keeps popping up.

I think they've finally tracked that particular error down… the JPEG library used by the embedded browser can error on certain (valid) JPEGs and prematurely close down the connection to the help server. The devs are working on a fix.

(ETA: you can always paste the URL into an external browser to bypass that error.)

flyingc, can you please let me know which version and platform you see this error on?

Thanks,

Matt
Edited by mchaput - March 6, 2017 11:03:54
Staff
466 posts
@flyingc Sorry, I just realized it's Windows based on the paths in the traceback.

The pasted traceback doesn't include any error at the end… is it possible you didn't copy the entire thing?

Thanks!
21 posts
+1, same problem here. Sometimes the help browser works for a while, then if I click the “?” button on the parameter panel. The error pops up.

Houdini Indie 16.0.557
Windows 10

Thanks!
  • Quick Links