surface tension attribute

7401   6   2
4189 posts
My search ninja skills are crappo and couldn't find the info. Is there a surface tension attribute for Flip?

Thx!
Staff
635 posts
aRtye
My search ninja skills are crappo and couldn't find the info. Is there a surface tension attribute for Flip?

Thx!

H16 Docs: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/dop/flipsolver [www.sidefx.com]

H16 Masterclass: https://vimeo.com/209763376 [vimeo.com]

Cristin
4189 posts
Very cool as I had forgotten about the substepping bit but I didn't see Ryan use point attributes to set varying amounts of tension.
73 posts
Hi,

Surface tension is handled as a field, so there is no particle-based attribute. It essentially computes the curvature of the fluid surface at each voxel and scales that value by the global surface tension coefficient in the FLIP solver.

It's possible to achieve variable surface tension by creating your own attribute, stamping it to a new field (using Gas Particle to Field) and scaling the surfacepressure field by this new field.

Hope this helps!
Ryan
4189 posts
thanks Ryan! I'm getting wacky results currently and want to work it out myself. Getting the attribute from Sops to Dops is proving more troublesome than I thought!

I'm looking at using the viscosity attribute as an example and can't see it in the Geometry Spreadsheet attributes in Dops anywhere. I sillyly thought the attribute would naturally import into Dops but I see that the visocity is brought in in /obj/AutoDopNetwork/flipfluidobject1/particlefluidobject/particlefluidconfigureobject/convert_to_particles

Do I need to replicate that setup for the custom Surface Tension attribute?

Thanks!

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 7.28.22 AM.png (61.1 KB)

73 posts
If you activate the “Add Viscosity Attribute” toggle in the FLIP Object are you able to see the viscosity attribute in the Geometry spreadsheet?

I would try connecting a SOP Solver to the Volume Velocity input in the FLIP Solver and creating the attribute in there.
4189 posts
Excellent! Thanking you very much. I now am not as blind and can see the attribute in the Spreadsheet!
  • Quick Links