I need help with a boolean operation.

1693   3   0
43 posts
I'm trying to setup a wedge to cutaway an object. I created the wedge with a box, blasted all but one side, and revolved the remaining poly. But when I use this as a boolean, it only cuts in seams. It doesn't delete the overlapping area.

Can you help me spot what I've done wrong.

Thanks!

Attachments:
boolean_wedge.hipnc (59.7 KB)
boolean example.jpeg (599.1 KB)

1755 posts
Here you go.
Might wanna choose intersect, interchange A with B, etc. I don't know what you're actually trying to achieve.
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - May 23, 2017 12:41:55

Attachments:
boolean_thing.hipnc (61.3 KB)

2527 posts
Booleans are always your last resort when modeling. As you can see they don't really work that well and can introduce bad topology to your final mesh. A better approach in this case is to simply model a tours from the ground up using two circles. Then you can use a Carve sop to control the gap in one of the circles and produce the opening that you were trying to create using the boolean wedge technique.

Adjust the slider on the purple node to control and even animate the gap in the torus. This is way more responsive than the boolean.
Edited by Enivob - May 23, 2017 12:49:24

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (246.8 KB)
ap_boolean_wedge.hipnc (63.1 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
43 posts
Thanks for chiming in on this. I'll take a closer look at both of the examples. In this case though, my wedge was only a test. I'm using the boolean operation on a CAD file for a cutaway that will be staged at different angles. Knowing how to get the wedge working will be key for that to work well for us.

Thanks again!
  • Quick Links