Can We create like Euphoria/Morpheme System?

5382   4   1
4 posts
Hello. I'm interesting about Real-Time Simulations, Environment/Level Design and Modelling Characters. That's why, I'm interesting about Houdini's abilities. I know, Houdini is very procedural/node based tool and Houdini's abilities don't limited. And I'm trying to learn this tool. But I love Euphoria/Morpheme like Physics based Animation technologies and I can't find a tool like Euphoria/Morpheme. With Houdini 16, Houdini supports to Muscle based Characters but is this usefull/cheap for a game technology? Can I create a AI based Animation system in Houdini? Thanks for advance.
66 posts
No, you do not create an AI based animation system in Houdini for a game engine, you do that in the game engine itself. Out of the box muscles are not useful for games either. You could make a plugin/asset for decomposing the point deformation to linear skin weights, but that functionality is not part of the base Houdini package.
4 posts
Thank you for replying. I'm using UE4 but I can't find a way to make this AI based Animation System. Example, How can I control all of the skeleton for smooth transiting without create an another animation, how can I control physics for character resistance? Maybe I must ask in UE4 Forums, but If anyone knows how i can do that, please let me know.
In the meantime, Why isn't the Muscle System usefull for a game? If I can use muscle system, I can control everything about character movement and reactions (I think). If is this possible, Can I create this system ( an Controllable and reactable system) in base Houdini? It isn't maybe easy, but can I create without anyother program or plugin? Thanks for advance
Edited by furkanxdgs4 - June 30, 2017 05:52:00
66 posts
For an AI based animation system like I think you are talking about, stock UE4 isn't going to cut it. You will be writing a completely new solution for AI from the ground up. The only AI tech that unreal ships with are behavior trees, which are ancient by today's standards. What you want is something called Utility Theory AI, which to my knowledge does not exist in any form for UE4, but Unity has a few implementations available through the asset store.

Character deformation in a game engine uses linear skin weights. They are efficient and easy to get good enough results with. Muscle systems are not resource efficient from the point of view of games development, and likely never will be.
There will always be better things to dedicate resources too than muscle simulation in games. However there are a few methods of converting complex simulations to linear blend weights: http://lesterbanks.com/2015/06/check-out-webber-huangs-deformation-learning-solver-in-maya/ [lesterbanks.com] Maya has this solver natively now. Hopefully SideFx with their superior deformation and simulation technology will follow suit and implement it in Houdini as well(I've RFE'd various forms of this technology for years now).
4 posts
Hmm so you said, If I try to create an AI based Animation system, I only will be wasting my time. So, If I try to make much better Animation BPs, This is will be more suit.
I researched Utility Theory AI but It is very complex and needed to be learned coding languages. I don't know any coding languages and If I buy Euphoria, I will be very very cool.
The Character Deformation is can be usefull with Skin Weight system. I know that and I will be trying to use this system (With Blendshapes/Morph Targets). But I asked this Muscle system, because I wanted to use this muscle system because I wanted to don't deal Skin Weight on AI based Animation system. I want to use procedurally/physically moving skins with AI based Animation system but If AI based Animation system is impossible, I don't need this muscle system. I already will be dealing with every transiting animation, It doesn't matter Skin Weight system is join this, I allready can deal with both of these. Thanks for everything.
  • Quick Links