My fix for the "No QT binding found" error in H16

11094   12   3
6 posts
Hi everyone, first post! New Houdini indie customer here, coming from a Modo/blender background.

I ran into the dreaded “no qt binding” error today and I see that a few others are also dealing with it.

For me, the issue was my Houdini env file, strangely enough. Found in: C:\Users\username\Documents\houdini16.0. I had added the needed env variables for Renderman, and after doing so, Houdini 16 started throwing up the qt binding error. So if you get this error, maybe try deleting your .env file, and possibly the other prefs in your user folder if that doesn't work. Worked for me anyway. I'll also send my env file to support so they aware of the issue.

Houdini 16 rocks! Good job sidefx!
2 posts
You can also comment (disable) the lines with the RenderMan variables using # at the start of each line. Doing so you can launch Houdini without the “No Qt binding found.” error.

Has anyone managed to successfully run PRMan 21.3 and Houdini 16?
Staff
1255 posts
Out of curiosity, what variables did you have comment out to fix the error? PYTHONPATH? PATH? Something else?

I guess PRMan ships with Qt5 and possibly PySide2 to cause conflicts.

Cheers,
Rob
26 posts
Same problem here. RM 21.3 works fine with the Qt4 version of Houdini 16 but not with the normal Qt5 one.
But for me commenting out Renderman does not solve the problem. I first thought it did but I accidentally started the wrong Houdini version, using Qt4.
So must be some other Qt on my system, although my path etc. seems clean…

Cheers,

Tom
Edited by ThomasHelzle - Feb. 27, 2017 14:53:47
http://screendream.de [screendream.de]
2 posts
Hi Rob,

It seems this line triggers the errors:
PATH=“$PATH;$RMANTREE/bin”

This one does no harm:
HOUDINI_DEFAULT_RIB_RENDERER=prman21.3

And I have left out defining RMANTREE in the houdini.env file as I already have it setup from the RenderMan installation.

@Tom
Good to know, I was thinking of trying out the Qt4 version but didn't have the time.
Edited by Angel Ivanov - Feb. 27, 2017 15:00:26
Staff
1255 posts
Thanks for the info!

I was able to reproduce the “No Qt binding found” error. It may not be related to Renderman at all. I was able to reproduce the bug simply by setting PATH to a garbage value in houdini.env.

Still investigating…
Staff
1255 posts
rvinluan
I was able to reproduce the “No Qt binding found” error. It may not be related to Renderman at all. I was able to reproduce the bug simply by setting PATH to a garbage value in houdini.env.

Scratch that. I reproduced the error because of user error. I didn't include $PATH in the value of PATH so $HFS/bin was not included in my path.

So there still could be a conflict with Renderman.

Investigating…
1 posts
If anyone still has this problem,
If you paste if from Pixar website, the text is a little odd, there is a colon instead of a semicolon and no quotes.

My variables that work:

RMANTREE=“C:\Program Files\Pixar\RenderManProServer-21.3”
PATH=“$RMANTREE/bin;$PATH”
183 posts
So I just ran into this problem while integrating Houdini into our pipeline. It looks like Houdini doesn't like the system's installed python. If I get rid of the PYTHONPATH env. variable it works like a charm. Unfortunately I need that variable set for the custom scripts that the pipeline runs on. Any tips for working around this?
26 posts
ThomasHelzle
Same problem here. RM 21.3 works fine with the Qt4 version of Houdini 16 but not with the normal Qt5 one.
But for me commenting out Renderman does not solve the problem. I first thought it did but I accidentally started the wrong Houdini version, using Qt4.
So must be some other Qt on my system, although my path etc. seems clean…

Cheers,

Tom
I solved this a while ago with the help of support and thought I mention the solution here:
I had QT dlls in my system32 folder which seems to override every other installed version. I don't know what software installed them but deleted them anyway and from then on Houdini with QT 5 worked without problems.

Cheers,

Tom
http://screendream.de [screendream.de]
15 posts
For other people that have not been able to solve this there seems to be a bug that does not update Windows Environment variables when (Installing a new version and selecting "Uninstall previous version)

I had to change two variables: HFS (Program directory) and PYTHONPATH (pythonlibs folder) to the new version that's installed.
Staff
1255 posts
hou_person
I had to change two variables: HFS (Program directory) and PYTHONPATH (pythonlibs folder) to the new version that's installed.

Hello,

You shouldn't need to set HFS in your environment. On Windows, Houdini automatically sets HFS (if not already present) internally on startup. You're probably better off removing HFS from your environment variables altogether.

Same goes for PYTHONPATH. Houdini automatically adds $HFS/houdini/python2.7libs to the Python path on startup. You only need to set PYTHONPATH if you want to register other Python module search paths that are not $HFS/houdini/python2.7libs.

Cheers,
Rob
15 posts
rvinluan
hou_person

Hello,

You shouldn't need to set HFS in your environment. On Windows, Houdini automatically sets HFS (if not already present) internally on startup. You're probably better off removing HFS from your environment variables altogether.

Same goes for PYTHONPATH. Houdini automatically adds $HFS/houdini/python2.7libs to the Python path on startup. You only need to set PYTHONPATH if you want to register other Python module search paths that are not $HFS/houdini/python2.7libs.

Cheers,
Rob
Yeah unfortunately even after install / uninstall / start up, the env var was not being set or updated.
  • Quick Links