Particle Sprites rendering as spheres

4379   4   1
4 posts
Hello all,

I'm just starting out learning Houdini as I've had the opportunity to learn it at work.
I've followed along with some of the pluralsight tutorials but they didn't include how to render the sprite particles that I'm having trouble with.
Everything looks fine in the viewport but when it comes time to render all I get are spheres. I've already searched for similar threads and I did find a couple but 1.) tried the help with no results 2.) too new to know where or how to apply the fixes
I've attached some screenshots for you all to get an idea of where I'm at right now.

Thanks in advanced for any help you can provide

Attachments:
1_ViewPort_wParticles.jpg (471.9 KB)
2_Render.jpg (196.2 KB)
3_NetworkView.jpg (113.4 KB)

208 posts
You'll need a PopSprite node after your Pop Source, if you don't have one already. That will default to dust puffs I think (been awhile since I used sprites). Then adjust the sprite image file and pscale to taste. Peter Quint has a good tut on Sprite Mosaics on Vimeo.
4 posts
kevinthebright
You'll need a PopSprite node after your Pop Source, if you don't have one already. That will default to dust puffs I think (been awhile since I used sprites). Then adjust the sprite image file and pscale to taste. Peter Quint has a good tut on Sprite Mosaics on Vimeo.

Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply. I actually already have my PopSprite nodes and have tweaked them to taste. Everything looks good in the viewport but won't render.
208 posts
I remember stumbling through this but forget the exact magic that needed to happen for it to work. Unfortunately, I am traveling and won't get back to a Houdini work station for a few weeks so I can't jump in and sort it out.

Play with the settings on the Render tab on your SOP (Render Unconnected Points etc). I remember that giving me problems.

Also, what's your goal for the shot - smoker from the cracks?
4 posts
kevinthebright
I remember stumbling through this but forget the exact magic that needed to happen for it to work. Unfortunately, I am traveling and won't get back to a Houdini work station for a few weeks so I can't jump in and sort it out.

Play with the settings on the Render tab on your SOP (Render Unconnected Points etc). I remember that giving me problems.

Also, what's your goal for the shot - smoker from the cracks?

No problem, I'm moving on for the time being as I want to get in as many plural sight tutorials as I can before my 30 days are up. I'd like to add more to the scene later as well so I can pop back into it later with a fix if I really can't get it to work on my own.
Basically the idea of the shot is to have steam shooting out from the cracks. I'll probably also add some pebbles shooting out too from the initial burst of energy.
  • Quick Links