BUG:Button tooltips in Linux

2185   2   1
581 posts
Hi SESI and list.
More problems in linux.
I am using KDE 3.4.3 (Kubuntu) and still experiment the maximize and keypad problems:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=5064 [sidefx.com]
Even more, now the maximize button doesn't appear in th houdini window.
The new bug is related with the buttons and labels tooltips, i have tested it with kde, gnome with metacity and window maker, the buttons and labels tooltips don't appears when i put the cursor over a one of them.
It is related with some graphic card problem or is a Houdini bug?
I am using a GForce FX 5200 with nvidia driver version: 1.0.7667
I have tested it with a GForce FX 5800 and same problems.
Other people with the same problems?
JColdrik?
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
4140 posts
What happens when you use the alias mentioned in the other thread - the one with the “-geometry” parameter? That should be making a difference, perhaps not doing what you want, but it should be different.

I've come to the personal conclusion that there's something not quite kosher Houdini does in XWindows that causes the maximize thing - well, if not kosher then perhaps non-standard but legal, since it seems to happen on many distributions and more than just KDE. I seriously doubt that drivers are the problem since I've personally never seen another app do this, plus I've run various drivers and haven't see a difference.

Seems that Ubuntu has more trouble with the keypad issue, but I'm still convinced it's something to do with Gnome/Metacity. No-one should be using Metacity(the default and standardized Gnome desktop). More advanced users have used other desktops with Gnome and seem to have no troubles, but unfortunately most users just want to use Linux out of the box(rightly so) and are struggling with Metacity on Ubuntu.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
581 posts
What happens when you use the alias mentioned in the other thread - the one with the “-geometry” parameter? That should be making a difference, perhaps not doing what you want, but it should be different.
I experiment a very strange behaviour, maybe it can help to somebody at SESI to found the error.
If i run houdini without parameters i get the strage behaviuor ia hve explained before. If i use the next command line:
houdini -geometry 1280x1024+0+0
Houdini fills all the screen and now i get the maxmize button in the window. So all works well.
But if i use:
houdini -geometry 1280x1024
Then Houdini doesn't work properly, is like not using -geometry.
If i want to use the -foreground option i have to use it always the first option, before -gemetry or -s, etc … otherwise i get errors.
The keypad problem stills.
So i am agree with you, i think that Houdini is making something not standar with the X Window or talking with the window manager and this is the reason of these strange behaviours.
I hope somebody at SESI can solve it because is very annoying in the day to day work.
In Ubuntu i am not using Gnome, i am using kUbuntu so the desktop I use is KDE 3.4.3. I have the same problem with both Metacity anf Kwin (and with Window Maker too).
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
  • Quick Links