Anyone tried a Surface Book with Houdini 16

5784   14   1
75 posts
Anyone tried this? I like have a portable work computer where I can start projects and tinker. Then I move it to my work station or grid markets. I need to find a new ergonomic option that is portable and semi-powerful. MacBooks seem out of the question due to poor Stability and after exhausting rounds of trying laptops (Man they all suck when used as a laptop and not a faux-desktop). Anyway, so far the surface book seems to be usable as is with no mouse.
- “spooky action at a distance”. Albert Einstein
806 posts
Moin,

not a surface *book*, but I have been using Houdini on my “rock steady off road” Surface 2 pro to showcase its (Houdini's) usage to a client I was working with.
He now seriously considers buying a few (Surfaces).

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
118 posts
I have an old surface book (2015) and it's ok for quick sketches in Houdini. Using it without mouse is ok too, provided that you set some touchpad gesture to simulate the middle mouse button.

Would be super nice to have the touchscreen usable in Houdini (!!) and in this regard, I invite you to support this request: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/50571/ [www.sidefx.com]

cheers
75 posts
Andr1
I have an old surface book (2015) and it's ok for quick sketches in Houdini. Using it without mouse is ok too, provided that you set some touchpad gesture to simulate the middle mouse button.

Would be super nice to have the touchscreen usable in Houdini (!!) and in this regard, I invite you to support this request: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/50571/ [www.sidefx.com]

On the MacBook I downloaded “better touch tool” that lets me use three finger press as middle click. I have read up that there are many way to achieve the same thing on various Multi touch trackpads that run windows 10.

cheers
19 posts
Noboru Garcia
MacBooks seem out of the question due to poor Stability and after exhausting rounds of trying laptops

Where do you get this idea? I run Houdini on my Macbook Pro all the time flawlessly. I honestly don't think I ever had a single crash and its lightning fast.
Staff
5156 posts
There are a few more advanced viewport rendering features that are disabled on the Surface Book due to the Intel GPU, but otherwise it works quite well. I have one for testing & debugging purposes.
118 posts
On the MacBook I downloaded “better touch tool” that lets me use three finger press as middle click. I have read up that there are many way to achieve the same thing on various Multi touch trackpads that run windows 10.

cheers

Nice, but I was referring to the lack of touch screen support in Houdini…
181 posts
Though I tend to prefer macOS, Microsoft's Surface Pro line would be ideal for many purposes. But I can't tell if the current generation of N-trig technology has the features (like multiple buttons) that anyone who relies on drawing tablets relies upon. Aside from twod, there seems to be dearth of people reporting encouraging experience with 3D programs on them.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/accessories/surface-pen [www.microsoft.com]

Something like Wacom's MobileStudio Pro could be even better, but I've lost some confidence in their craftsmanship lately.

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-computers/wacom-mobilestudio-pro [www.wacom.com]
75 posts
chrono1081
Noboru Garcia
MacBooks seem out of the question due to poor Stability and after exhausting rounds of trying laptops

Where do you get this idea? I run Houdini on my Macbook Pro all the time flawlessly. I honestly don't think I ever had a single crash and its lightning fast.

I have a 2012 that has operated flawlessly until Houdini 16. In Houdini 16 it's become very volatile, this is also happening in the new 2017 models… I was planning on getting one until this crashing issue has come up. Then I took to the forums and found that it's wide spread. If you don't have a supported GPU the experience is disastrous. But as of H16 even my “Supported” 650M is crashing constantly.
Edited by Noboru_Garcia - July 13, 2017 21:50:08
75 posts
twod
There are a few more advanced viewport rendering features that are disabled on the Surface Book due to the Intel GPU, but otherwise it works quite well. I have one for testing & debugging purposes.

Are we referring to the same device? The surface book as a Discreet GPU in the keyboard section.
75 posts
Cyzor
Though I tend to prefer macOS, Microsoft's Surface Pro line would be ideal for many purposes. But I can't tell if the current generation of N-trig technology has the features (like multiple buttons) that anyone who relies on drawing tablets relies upon. Aside from twod, there seems to be dearth of people reporting encouraging experience with 3D programs on them.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/accessories/surface-pen [www.microsoft.com]

Something like Wacom's MobileStudio Pro could be even better, but I've lost some confidence in their craftsmanship lately.

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-computers/wacom-mobilestudio-pro [www.wacom.com]

This is cool too.
181 posts
If you happen to have an iPad Pro, then something like Astropad [astropad.com] might be a partial solution for mobile work. Houdini's redraw rate was slightly slower than usual the last time I tried Astropad Studio, though other 3D apps seemed to work flawlessly.

But I haven't tried under macOS Sierra 10.12 yet, which has better Metal [developer.apple.com] performance.

Staff
5156 posts
Noboru Garcia
twod
Are we referring to the same device? The surface book as a Discreet GPU in the keyboard section.

The surface book has an optional Nvidia GPU in the keyboard on the higher end models. The low-to-mid range models only have the Intel GPU.
75 posts
twod
Noboru Garcia
twod

The surface book has an optional Nvidia GPU in the keyboard on the higher end models. The low-to-mid range models only have the Intel GPU.

Yes, thats the one I would be looking at… however Surface Book 2 seems to be right around the corner. Soooo I should probably wait.
75 posts
Cyzor
If you happen to have an iPad Pro, then something like Astropad [astropad.com] might be a partial solution for mobile work. Houdini's redraw rate was slightly slower than usual the last time I tried Astropad Studio, though other 3D apps seemed to work flawlessly.

But I haven't tried under macOS Sierra 10.12 yet, which has better Metal [developer.apple.com] performance.

I use Astropad now. My problem is that Houdini 16 has not been a friend to My MacBook Pro, Also folks I talk to who use the 2017 model experience the same level of constant crashing I do. Never happened with 15. I could just go back to 15.
  • Quick Links