Assigning/Placing objects into points

1138   2   1
2 posts
Hi,

I have an fbx of a ship with texture maps that I have imported into houdini which has lots of guns on it (all separate objects). There are only about 5 types of gun but each one is duplicated across the model lots of times.

The way the textures look once rendered are not good, so I have decided I need to set up the textures for the ship and guns in the principal shader.

As there are hundreds of guns and I want to replicate this across lots more ships I think the best approach is to set the principal shader up for each type of gun once- for example gun A, gun B, gun C.

So my question is…
If I retain empty transforms/null objects for each gun position in the fbx import, can I assign the gun models to each transform once I have set up the textures? Is there a shortcut for this? I thinking I need something that will allow me to apply the gun A model to all the gun A points etc.

Thanks for any help in advance - i'm loving my first steps in using Houdini, though it's very different to anything I have used before
2535 posts
Because you are making the copies by copying to your points all you have to do is make sure each source object has the material. Then all the copies will inherit them as well.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
2 posts
Thanks copying to points fixes my problem
  • Quick Links