Would Houdini be a good fit for my Unreal Engine 4 game?

6527   10   1
5 posts
Can Houdini do it all: 3D modeling, effects, particles, elaborate animations, environments?
How well does it work with Unreal Engine 4?

I've researched other options like Maya, but the cost is huge.

Also, which product contains all the features for a single person to use?

This is the quality of 3D modeling and animation [sketchfab.com] I would expect from Houdini.
636 posts
When you dont make more then 100k $ per year and you are alone then the indie for 200$ is your way to go.

Integration is very good and there are speeches and tutorials about houdini and unreal engine. Just check the tutorial section.

Good luck and happy learning

EDIT:
Did you made the model? Houdini can do a lot and modeling mechanical stuff is possible it's not ideal for organic but then you can use zbrush with houdini and it's solved. I would say there is no other tool that gives you more possibility then houdini per default(no plugins) on the market.mostly the limit is the user and not houdini!
Edited by mandrake0 - July 27, 2017 10:35:31
2036 posts
Hi WhiteArmorer.

Just wanted to put out some thoughts from my perspective that might help you.

About two years ago I decided I wanted to get into animation of which I had no experience, although I did have lots of experience in photography, drawing/painting, and graphics.

As I did my search the first animation software I came across was Maya, but I thought a demo for only 30 days and then the monthly payment simply was ‘too much’ for evaluation.

I felt I wanted/needed a longer time frame to evaluate before committing funds for a software.

Then I came across Houdini Apprentice which is free and I felt that was the perfect learning/introduction tool to use to become familiar with animation.

To this day I am still using Houdini and only Houdini.

You could use Houdini only to do animations like the one in your link, however you may find that eventually you might want to learn other software as part of your pipeline to accomplish what you want more efficiently.

I bet some people might say that for them an alternative software for modelling might be something you might want to look into.(related to your animation link). Although for myself the types of imagery I wish to create, Houdini is a better choice.

Houdini has helped me learn the different aspects of animation and it also has helped me gain a larger perspective of what other types of software I may want to look into to compliment my use of Houdini.
5 posts
BabaJ
You could use Houdini only to do animations like the one in your link, however you may find that eventually you might want to learn other software as part of your pipeline to accomplish what you want more efficiently.

I see.

I feared that no single package would have everything, but I hoped Houdini would be the closest to it. I really need to save money!

Someone mentioned Zbrush, which would cost me $800 dollars right out of the gate! That's the cost of a high-end PC.

The thing is, I intend to buy a lot of assets, which would probably be slightly less than $800. My main focus would then be to modify and animate those assets(I've already found most assets I need at the Unreal marketplace). Although I would create completely new environments.

Would other software beside Houdini FX be necessary in such case?

Let's say that money is not a factor, which other software would you then recommend for a complete pipeline, in which Houdini would be the core?

I really appreciate your advice.

P.S.

I tried to download Houdini apprentice twice, and both times it stopped right before completion -
Edited by WhiteArmorer - July 27, 2017 12:03:50
50 posts
As a suggestion the Substance Suite is super cool. I think they even have an indie version like Houdini.
-sculpting/organic (besides zbrush) - 3d coat is cool. Sculptris and Blender offer free organic modelling if you are on a tight budget.
- hard surface - many praise modo but i haven't tried it. But i think anything would do.
- 2d texturing/editing - Photoshop is kind of a default. Gimp if budget is super tight. Affinity is another option - new software, modern, has some cool features over photoshop and you pay only once.
- texturing - Substance Suite . The software is cool, but houdini could probably replace substance designer if needed. I haven't tried making texture in Houdini, though. It could probably do more than designer but it's not tightly specialized so it would happen slower. But don't take my word for it, i am not some super Pro.

Also i don't think the download problem is an issue with sidefx, but on your side. Try another browser or maybe clear cookies .
5 posts
Hm, both 3D coat and Substance designer are reasonably priced. Including assets from stores, altogether it would come well under $1000. (I've already spent $3000 on new hardware).
Thankfully, those are polishing tools, so there's plenty of time to cross that bridge.

As long as Houdini has all the core features.

I was surprised in how many projects Houdini is present; even the intro for my favorite game series - Dawn of War, is done in Houdini!

I think I'll definitely get it. I've already poured hours of reading everything about every kind of software. Houdini strikes me as the best bet so far.

But feel free to offer additional advice.
Edited by WhiteArmorer - July 27, 2017 14:06:59
5 posts
Btw, how would you compare 3D modeling features of Houdini with MODO [www.foundry.com]?
3 posts
Just wondering, is Houdini easy to work with? Are there big differences to Maya? I've tried working with Maya before which didn't go to well, I've tried modelling Zelda for example, and it didn't come out as expected unfortunately.

@WhiteArmorer, the model looks great btw, but was that done in Houdini entirely?
14 posts
I'm also just starting out, specifically for UE4. I went for Houdini as I like working procedurally in general and Blender drives me crazy interface wise, especialy when switching with UE4 . Made my first asset and must say that modeling wise it's a nightmare. In the sense that if you're trying to do specific things which don't necessarily come out easily procedurally, you're having a frustrating time.

Just started Modo too, which is completely different, very destructive workflow, but excellent for modeling. I think they will complement eachother nicely, making models in one and adding procedural elements with the other.

In one of the talks regarding H16 sidefx stated that they want to up Houdini for modeling, but until then I think a combination of tools seems better.

Anyway just my impression as a beginner and whichever tool, there's going to be an amount of grinding.
66 posts
The mech you posted should be doable in Houdini, depending on user experience level Especially if you lean on decals.

You don't need substance designer if you are getting Houdini. If you are on a tight budget and can not afford additional software for organic modeling I encourage you to look into the volumes tool set Houdini has and consider a different approach to organic modeling that isn't trying to make several hundred watts of electricity behave like wet dirt.
21 posts
WhiteArmorer
Btw, how would you compare 3D modeling features of Houdini with MODO [www.foundry.com]?

Hi

I've spend about 10 months in Houdini Indie(Mainly for modeling), and about 3 months in Modo(not indie). I think modeling wise Modo is superior than Houdini and you can achieve better result in shorter time, but it comes with a cost, Modo full package is much more expensive than Houdini indie, and some of the Modo plugins are also pretty expensive, too. Auto Character Setup cost $199 and pretty much offer the same function of Houdini's Autorig tool. Push point's plugins might cost another $150 but they are really really good. There also lots of good free plugins though. Modo's strength peak at modeling, it has better default toolset and lots of plugins just to further enhance that aspect.

I think Houdini in pure modeling sense still has a lot to catch up to do, but you do get the most powerful procedural toolset on the market.
Edited by Kai Xu - Aug. 3, 2017 07:36:50
  • Quick Links