Making Procedural Cliff advice

10024   6   2
68 posts
Hey all,
I wanted to get the advice of more experience Houdini users on this subject, Iv been watching a bunch of tutorials on how to create rocks in Houdini, But I am trying to create something similar to the image I attached. My questions is does anyone know a good tutorial I could use to create something like it? All the tutorials I have found show how to make more round like rocks or not as detailed , and I'm not getting the results I want when I try to the heighfeild tools. Or would sculpting it be my better option?

best,
vish

Attachments:
imgflash.org:desert-mountains.jpg (1.8 MB)

Staff
3455 posts
it's just been posted and so I haven't had time to watch it yet but this seems like what you're looking for:
https://vimeo.com/228238370 [vimeo.com]
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
68 posts
Thankyou so much!!! This was exactly what I needed!!
190 posts
Ok i've been looking around on how to aply noise to a surface vdb as when i use a surface vdb nothing happens (becouse output is density ?)

When i aply this to a fog vdb i just get holes instead of bumps.

Annyone out there able to help me without sending me to a 700 Euro online class …
192 posts
two main ways to do this nic. first thing you'll want to do is to export your field as ‘surface’ rather than ‘density’. its as easy as changing the name of your export variable in your vop or wrangle.

to displace your ‘surface’ field, you can either displace the lookup or offset the field. displacing the lookup has the effect of moving the surface around in space based on your noise field (vector noise). offsetting the field is changing where in the volume the limit surface is drawn based on the noise (float noise). the differences are subtle but appreciable. here's an example of both.

Attachments:
bb_displace_vdb.hip (126.3 KB)
thing2.jpeg (357.6 KB)

190 posts
Thank you verry much !
6 posts
Dude I love you, Thank you
  • Quick Links