Texture sheet node not working

7020   8   2
8 posts
I have followed this video https://vimeo.com/200396976 [vimeo.com]

I am trying to get this to spit out a texture sheet but its only rendering a single image. I have followed this video 3 times, and am getting frustrated that there is no updated documentation to get the simple stuff working. I cant find a mosaic node either for the old way to do this. I am thinking more and more that I will have to backburner houdini till there are more updates on tutorials to use in conjunction with UE4. It seems most of the tutorials out there are outdated.
240 posts
Hey HyperHoudini,

Sorry you're getting frustated. In this case you actually hit an actual bug with one of the expressions missing from the texture sheets asset.

We are working on getting that fixed and into the latest build, but in the meantime feel free to use the attached HDA instead.

Please let me know if that works for you and feel free to ping me as you're running through these and things aren't lining up.

Attachments:
texture_sheets.hda (180.2 KB)

Luiz Kruel
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX
517 posts
Hey, I'm running into the same issue, was there a work around for this?
394 posts
There's a couple of things you can try.
1. Have you downloaded the hda Luiz included in his reply?
2. Try exporting with your timeline reset to the first frame.
3. Download the latest shelf tools from the GitHub repo - https://github.com/sideeffects/GameDevelopmentToolset.git [github.com]

If none of those work let me know.

Mike
517 posts
Hmm still no luck.
Here's the scene, maybe I'm just messing something up? Check it out if you get a chance.

Thanks,
Pete

Attachments:
SpriteSheet.hiplc (962.7 KB)

394 posts
I'm a little confused. Nothing is hooked up in your scene file. It doesn't look like you're using the hda that Luiz included above or the latest hda from the GitHub repo.
1. The texture_sheets node needs to point to the node to render - /obj/pyro_import/spritesheet_pyro
2. Write out the sim in the pyro_import node before rendering the texture sheet.
3. The increments are set to 20 which means it will only render every 20 frames
4. I changed the camera resolution to 128 x 128
5. I changed the camera position to frame the fire better.

Attachments:
SpriteSheet_02.hiplc (963.9 KB)

517 posts
Oh sorry, I had tried those but I thought I'd send you my original scene.
Ahh it looks like the problem was that I didn't have the node set. That's strange though, I would have thought it would just render whatever was in the cameras view and add that to a sprite sheet. It breaks if you try to render something that is just geometry.

Thanks for the help though!
1 posts
This thread was very helpful but I still had to bang my head on the problem for a while before I was able to get a texture_sheet to render something besides an empty sheet. I downloaded the new texture_sheet .hda file and it still did not work as is. It was pointing to a camera path ../GEOMETRY/cam1 but starting from an empty scene a new camera has a different path: /obj/cam1. The object to be rendered has to have its path specified in texture_sheet and the object itself needs a material assigned. This is not intuitive as the object renders in the viewport with some type of default shader. Thanks for making these tools and for discussing how to solve problems with them.
69 posts
I've been getting issues as well. The render node spits out the texture sheets, but when it gets to the “_rgb” versions, it will skip frames randomly and gives me errors when it tries to create the mosaic. I've downloaded the most recent versions of the game tools and followed your instructions above, but this seems like a bug. It gets through the “checkpoint” process, by the way, then deletes the final exr file.
Edited by ctedin - April 11, 2018 11:17:53

Attachments:
MissingFramesGameTextureSheets.JPG (34.5 KB)
MissingFramesGameTextureSheets02.JPG (77.0 KB)

• Quick Links