group node

7765   6   2
1 posts
Hi, i am following Steven Knipping Houdini rigid 2. I install the Houdini 16 apprentice version and I am stuck with the group node. In the video, Steven creates point group and the convert those point into primitive by group node. but when i use the group node its not creating any group. and when i try with a sphere it working out. There is no tab to convert point to primitive. I try with attribute promote but still getting error. it will be very helpful if someone can explain me the new group node in Houdini 16.

Attachments:
group node.PNG (91.9 KB)

1743 posts
The Group Promote node should let you promote from a point group to a primitive group in the same way that the options on the Convert tab of the old Group node did.

With the old Group node, there were frequent issues reported with its interface being very confusing, because of the large number of options that were quite different in nature and not always visible at once in the UI. In Houdini 16.0, it was split into Group Create (also listed as just Group), Group Promote, Group by Range, Group Combine, Group Delete, and Group Rename, with a new node, Group Expression (for using a VEXpression to create a group), and there were already Group Copy, Group Transfer, and Group Paint. Of course, the down side of this is that tutorials using the old Group node will be harder to follow, but hopefully the change will make things easier overall in the future.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
1 posts
What happened to Group by Expression functionality? The new Group Expression only uses VEXpression. The only way I can get around this is by authoring an old Group in H15 then opening in H16. Anyone else have any different solutions?
1743 posts
LandinKabam
What happened to Group by Expression functionality? The new Group Expression only uses VEXpression.
Do you have something specific in mind that doesn't work in VEX or that you'd like to know how to do in VEX? Anything that was possible in an HScript expression before should be doable in VEX. If you need a multi-line expression, the Attribute Wrangle node can create groups by writing to @group_thegroupname or by calling setpointgroup or related VEX functions.
6 posts
ndickson
LandinKabam
What happened to Group by Expression functionality? The new Group Expression only uses VEXpression.
Do you have something specific in mind that doesn't work in VEX or that you'd like to know how to do in VEX? Anything that was possible in an HScript expression before should be doable in VEX. If you need a multi-line expression, the Attribute Wrangle node can create groups by writing to @group_thegroupname or by calling setpointgroup or related VEX functions.

Hi, Im sorry for the simple question, I have been learnig Houdini for a couple weeks, I want to know how can I do a rand($PT) < 0.5 in VEX because the tutorials I have are outdated.
1743 posts
Luis Riera
Hi, Im sorry for the simple question, I have been learnig Houdini for a couple weeks, I want to know how can I do a rand($PT) < 0.5 in VEX because the tutorials I have are outdated.
There's no need to apologize!
rand(@ptnum) < 0.5
should work, though if you want exactly the same random number generation that HScript was producing, there's the hscript_rand VEX function, so that'd be
hscript_rand(@ptnum) < 0.5
31 posts
ndickson
The Group Promote node should let you promote from a point group to a primitive group in the same way that the options on the Convert tab of the old Group node did.

With the old Group node, there were frequent issues reported with its interface being very confusing, because of the large number of options that were quite different in nature and not always visible at once in the UI. In Houdini 16.0, it was split into Group Create (also listed as just Group), Group Promote, Group by Range, Group Combine, Group Delete, and Group Rename, with a new node, Group Expression (for using a VEXpression to create a group), and there were already Group Copy, Group Transfer, and Group Paint. Of course, the down side of this is that tutorials using the old Group node will be harder to follow, but hopefully the change will make things easier overall in the future.

THANK YOU
  • Quick Links