Ryzen OpenCL CPU drivers

6660   6   2
4189 posts
Does anyone have the link for downloading the Ubuntu 16.10 AMD Ryzen OpenCL CPU drivers? OpenCL CPU is working out of the box but the Frequency is looking a little suspicious

Intel(R) OpenCL
Platform Vendor Intel(R) Corporation
Platform Version OpenCL 1.2 LINUX
OpenCL Device AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
OpenCL Type CPU
Device Version OpenCL 1.2 (Build 57)
Frequency 0 MHz
Compute Units 16
Device Address Bits 64
Global Memory 16043 MB
Max Allocation 4010 MB
Global Cache 512 KB
Max Constant Args 480
Max Constant Size 128 KB
Local Mem Size 32 KB
2D Image Support 16384x16384
3D Image Support 2048x2048x2048
75 posts
I'm not sure but I would be interested in knowing how your new CPU compares to the performance of your graphics card on sims.
- “spooky action at a distance”. Albert Einstein
4189 posts
A simple test is Torus -> Dry sand falling on the ground: ~2fps CPU, ~4 fps OpenCL CPU, ~6 fps gtx980.

Sadly the MacPro dual X5680 is 1fps CPU & 1 fps 1080ti card!
Staff
5158 posts
It's likely that the CPU CL platform we're using just doesn't recognize Ryzen to query its CPU frequency. If the query fails, it will likely report zero.
4189 posts
Thanks! Has anyone run tests to see if AMD CL CPU drivers perform better? i.e. like the AMD GPU OpenCL drivers IIRC
75 posts
I don't know much about this. I just built a 1950X and would be happy to test some things… as long as you can point me in the right direction. I don't know about OpenCl for CPU.
- “spooky action at a distance”. Albert Einstein
4189 posts
Cool - so put into the environment file HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICETYPE=CPU, check that it used in the Help menu, About Houdini, scroll down for the openCL part. You can also just use the hgpuinfo -c command in the terminal / command line instead.

then hunt down the OpenCL Smoke example file from the help docs and boost the number of voxels to something like 600x600x600 for axis, you can also just build a simple smoke sim where you just source for the first few frames or for fun you can now source on all frames and compare the CPU to the GPU as it doesn't have to send the data across PCI

Pyro is also now fully openCL so use the shelf tools there, make sure to switch on use OpenCL, then the Sand tools, just use the shelf etc.

Overall the 1950X will be great for all the threaded nodes in Houdini, like VDB, OpenCLSOP, Attribute Blur and of course Mantra.

Viscoisty in Flip sims is very well OpenCL'd in my experience too.

Keen to hear your results!
  • Quick Links