Possible bug with packing textures into an HDA?

2275   3   0
193 posts
hey, so, I was trying something new and packing my colormaps in with the HDA/extra files option. I'm noticing a bit of a problem with this approach, it seems as though every time I load a new version of an asset, the engine will make a new folder under “Textures” with the name of the asset and a number incremented by one each time…

needless to say, this gets pretty disk heavy pretty quickly. I was doing a project backup, and i noticed that the project size had ballooned to over twice it's size. I racked up an 800 MB texture folder in just a couple of days, and they almost all redundant.

I'm on 671 and 5.6.1f1

I know you guys have a fancy bug tracker or something, so i will try to figure out how that works, but in the meantime, thar ya go!

and thanks for all you do!

Attachments:
runaway_textures.PNG (58.8 KB)

571 posts
Is this happening recently (after an update) or was always the case? Textures aren't shared if you bring in the same HDA multiple times, but shouldn't create new ones on rebuild or recook. After updating an HDA try a rebuild instead of creating a new one.

Note that the current version does leave the texture in the project if you delete the HDA gameobject. This is something we'll be addressing in a future version (ie. delete texture when the HDA is deleted).
571 posts
Also, one thing you can do in the short term is to use a material attribute to specify a Unity texture instead of bringing it in via Houdini Engine. To do that, create a primitive attribute with name ‘unity_material’ and String type with value of path to your texture relative to your Assets/ or Resources/ folder.

You can duplicate the current HDA's texture that you have now in Unity, and use the path of that. This reduces any textures from being created, as its just a reference to an existing Unity texture.
193 posts
^^I think that's what I will do. I was just trying the pack-in method because I thought it might make the asset more portable.. like if i wanted to use the same asset in Unreal, for instance.

As for is it happening recently, I have no idea.. this is the first time I ever tried using the extra files option.
  • Quick Links