Help using Vertex Animation Texture for cloth simulation

5584   7   0
38 posts
Hi again.

Im trying to import a cloth simulation into unity with no luck.

It worked using alembic format file and alembic importer in unity. but i prefer to use the texture method as my intention is to build to Android platform.

I dont know what the problem is but the texture is empty.

Appreciate if you can check the .hda file.
Also after render it the BBOX MAX and MIN are 0. is that normal for cloth simulations?

Regards
Francisco.

Attachments:
cap.hiplc (3.2 MB)

394 posts
Hi Francisco,

Please download the latest Vertex Animation Texture tool from GitHub and give that a try. That solves most people's problems. If you're still having issues let me know.

https://github.com/sideeffects/GameDevelopmentToolset/releases [github.com]

Mike
38 posts
mikelyndon-sesi
Hi Francisco,

Please download the latest Vertex Animation Texture tool from GitHub and give that a try. That solves most people's problems. If you're still having issues let me know.

https://github.com/sideeffects/GameDevelopmentToolset/releases [github.com]

Mike

Hi Mike,

I tried the GitHub version but it won't work. Do I need to save the simulation inside a file coached? Then select the file cache node to export? If so, how I do it? I can't find file cache node.

The error I have is the same as before, the texture is empty.
Also after importing all the GitHub assets I didn't get the vertex animation texture beta node. It won't show up at all.

Regards.
Fran
394 posts
Hi Francisco,
Normally you write out a simulation first before using the vertex animation texture tool. You can put down a file cache node inside your cloth geometry container.

The vertex animation texture beta was recently renamed to remove the (beta) part. If you hit tab and type vertex animation you will see 2 options show up. The latest version is the second one.

Mike
38 posts
Hi Mike, sorry to bother so much.

So i tried again from zero.

I download from git the folder, then inside my houdini installation i changed the env file to point to my gamedevtools folder.
I used this tutorial
https://support.borndigital.co.jp/hc/ja/articles/115000905034 [support.borndigital.co.jp]

In houdini i check if the tools is load, looks like is not loaded at all, i tried to change env with
HOUDINI_NO_SPLASH = 1

HOUDINI_PATH = /Users/francisco.fernandez/Downloads/GameDevelopmentToolset;&
And
HOUDINI_PATH = “/Users/francisco.fernandez/Downloads/GameDevelopmentToolset;&”

none of them load the asset.

My texture is still transparent with no data inside.
I saved the geometry inside the file cache, then i render it again, it took like 10 minutes (before it was like 1 minute) to render the image.

The image is still blank.

If i select the geometry node i and uncheck Normalize Data 0-1 space i get a texture that looks like the tutorials, in unity the flag is moving but as i dont have any number from houdini to use inside BBOX MAX BBOX MIN i can not have a proper animation, 0 and 0 dont show any animation, if i start using random number i can see some animation.

Now i tried to install the HDA file using install digital assets. i get this error
Couldnt add library
….. to Current HIP File.

check that ….. is a valid operator type library.

I tried to put the OTL inside houdini OTLS folder too.

Im sorry for slow answer but im trying to intruduce houdini at my current work and i can not spent a full day only trying to setup the env. At the end of the day i still need to show progress so i just go back to maya and animate cloth there but im pretty sure that when houdini work the workflow would be a lot faster with better results.
38 posts
for what i can see the problem is the env file, i change this line to
HOUDINI_NO_SPLASH = 1
and
HOUDINI_NO_SPLASH = 0

then check in houdini terminal config to see if the values is changed.

but when i open houdini the splash screen 0 or 1 dont change at all. so i suppose that houdini_path is not working.
38 posts
Just update, i got it to “work”.

As my mbp does not read the env file i just went and installed a new version of houdini. 16.0.705 it already come with the vertex animation beta node.

using that node i got the box MAX and MIN values. i send it to unity, divide it by 100 as the RBD. it goes crazy, so i downloaded many shaders until one of them worked!

still make some jumps but i think i can figure out by now/
38 posts
Working now as expected.
Houdini
In houdini after i use file cache i put everything in a Null Node. i select the null node in the vertex animation render.

Unity
Not use Sprite 2D as the tutorials.
Advanced, no alpha,no transparency, no srgb, enconde RGBM OFF (important!!), sprite mode NONE, no mip maps, repeat and point.

compression dependes on size and animation flow.

Its possible to use PNG so the texture file go under 80kb.
  • Quick Links