BUG: Flipbook freezing strangely

3504   5   1
7024 posts
Hello,
This is a weird one. Doing viewport flipbooks in 8.0.468 stops every 30 frames or so until I wiggle the mouse. Very strange… SuSE 10.0, FX 5200 , Nvidia drivers 7676

Cheers,

Peter B
4140 posts
Running the same OS/drivers and haven't noticed that at all. Must say my first instinct is that it's something to do with window focus and the window manager, since it's a GL grab it might be finicky about focus. Assuming you're running KDE, I'm running with Control Center/Desktop/Window Behaviour/:

Focus Policy = “Focus Follows Mouse”
No auto-raise
No delay focus
No click-raise active window

Might want to try that if you aren't already and see if it helps.

Cheers,

J.C.

P.S. Currently running 8.0.473, although as mentioned never noticed it before.
John Coldrick
7024 posts
Yeah, I had Focus Under Mouse and changing to Focus Follows Mouse fixed it. If you're bored (unlikely, I know) maybe see if Focus Under causes problems for you? Just curious…

Thanks!

Peter B
4140 posts
Odd. Seemed to work fine.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
Staff
5156 posts
Hey Peter,

When you say the flipbook freezes, do you mean the generation process in Houdini, or playback in mplay?

It's very strange behaviour either way. It's curious that internal events would stop being processed due to some window manager setting.
7024 posts
The generation in Houdini. The CPU would still be pegged, but nothing would advance. I would then wiggle the mouse and it would proceed as normal. It's a pretty fast flip, maybe 3 fps or so, so it's pretty obvious when it does it.

The change to the mouse focus fixed it so I've moved on )

Cheers,

Peter B
  • Quick Links