houdini on CentOS 4.2

3858   6   2
21 posts
Hi everyone,
after some time I tried to run houdini on a linux box again. System is a AMD64 3200, 1GB Ram, graphic card is a ATI FireGL X2 265MB. The OS is a new installed CentOS 4.2 x86_64 (RedHat EL 4.2 type). I installed the apprentice version of Houdini 8.0.410-linux_x86_64_deb_sid. The installation went fine, the licence server installed fine, and houdini started up without any probs as well. I tried some things and all seems fine. But when I shutdown the computer after the session, the shutdown sequence stopped with a kernel panic and the system freezed.
Anyone else with similiar experiences?

regards
Tommy
7024 posts
That sounds a lot like a graphics problem. Does the panic give you hint what is crashing?

Cheers,

Peter B
21 posts
Ok, tried it again. The last message before the kernel panic relates indeed to the fireglrx module, but:
When I kill the hserver manually (killall hserver) before the shutdown, the system shuts down cleanly. This is the same behavier that I have about one year ago, with Fedora Core 3 and Houdini 6-something - a 32bit version at that time. Seems that this is the same problem - and I still have no idea what is happening…

regards
Tommy
7024 posts
Well, I believe that all Houdini apps link to OpenGL, and something in the ATI driver doesn't like something that is happening. Not sure why, but pretty sure the driver is at fault. Have you tried a newer or older ATI driver? Do you have an Nvidia card you can throw in just for a test?

Cheers

Peter B
21 posts
Well, I know that ATI cards are… . No, no Nvidia card available at the moment. But in this case I'm not 100% shure that it's an ATI related problem. Why would stopping the hserver solve any graphic related problem. The ATI driver installed at the moment is ATI latest, but in the about one year ago I have an older driver installed and the behavier was the same.
Shure the ATI drivers are not like the should be ( the linux drivers especially). With Windows I still use a driver from 2004…

regards
Tommy
7708 posts
Hmm … when the shutdown sequence occurs, doesn't it send a SIGHUP? What happens if you do: kill -SIGHUP <hserver_pid> ? (save your work first )
21 posts
Hi,
ok, doing a kill -SIGHUP <hserver.pid> in the terminal and performing a normal shutdown sequence brings the sytem down cleanly also.
My guess is that the hserver is terminated right or in the expected order in the shutdown sequence. Has anyone an idea how to check this or better, how to change this?

regards
Tommy
  • Quick Links