Exporting RBD data into Unreal

4046   3   0
13 posts
I'm experimenting with vertex animation in Unreal engine 4. I've created a shattering cube inside of houdini and exported it using the Vertex Animation Textures node set to RBD method. However, after setting up my material inside of Unreal 4 and plugging my maps into their desigated slots, my mesh doesn't behave at all like it does inside of houdini; It just spins in place. I've tried different import settings and export settings, but none of them seem to work. Does anyone have any suggestions what I could be doing wrong?

Attachments:
CubeShatter.gif (2.0 MB)
CubeUnreal.gif (971.9 KB)
importSettings.PNG (71.9 KB)

13 posts
Okay, so I managed to make some progress on this. By entering the BBOX MAX and BBOX MIN values from Houdini into the Unreal shader PivotMax and PivotMin paramaters I managed to get the animation to play. However, it is now playing at an almost 45 degree angle from the ground. Rotating it doesn't work, it merely rotates the individual pieces locally with the animation remaining at a 45 degree angle. Any ideas?

Attachments:
ExplodingSphere_Tilt.gif (2.1 MB)

13 posts
I managed to fix this. Turns out my shader inside of Unreal had created an extra “_1”-version of the Bounding Max and Bounding Min parameters when I copy-pasted the UE4 code from Houdini - Appearantly this occasionally happens when you paste the code into the editor as Unreal adds the “_1” to seperate the variables when they in fact need to be the same. After fixing this, I simply pasted my Bounding Box values from Houdini into the parameter and it worked like a charm.

Attachments:
Shader_error.JPG (75.0 KB)

1 posts
Hi Thanks I met the same issue….though each time I try past the code into material, the UE4 crush, do you have this kind of issue?
  • Quick Links