Simple Flower and Grass Field (with wind) in Houdini 16

4686   6   1
154 posts
I am trying to somehow achieve a flower field with wind in Houdini 16.

I have done until grouping the fbx file copied flowers and line copied grass with the red an black gradient color so they stay still at the bottom but I can't seem to find a good way to make it act like it's blowing in strong wind. I have tried all the noises in the attribute vop with a “add” to position. But they didn't look really good.

Then I noticed that the mountain sop has a element size option to it. Is it possible to somehow “add” the mountain sop to the position as it does in the attribute vop?

Also I am trying to make the flowers bend without distorting the actual shape.

Thanks a lot.

Attachments:
Houdini Forum Wind Question_00980.png (1.2 MB)
スクリーンショット 2017-09-18 10.47.51.png (9.5 MB)

336 posts
Make an attribute that goes from 0-1 on the Y axis of your curves, multiply that to an anti-aliased noise in a point VOP, then add that to P. Animate the noise offset in the x or z. Group the points at the tip of the stems and copy the flowers to those points after the AA noise
154 posts
Thank you very much for your reply! I am trying but I still don't know a lot. Is this the right direction?
Thanks!

Attachments:
スクリーンショット 2017-09-18 20.10.13.png (108.6 KB)
スクリーンショット 2017-09-18 20.09.54.png (155.1 KB)

336 posts
Here's the way I would do it, really a super basic setup to start from. You can build in all kinds of controls by setting up stamp attributes, use control ramps for additional bending and layered noise etc. I hope that's helpful

Attachments:
windyfield.hip (175.4 KB)

154 posts
Thank you very much! I can understand most of the parts but I have some parts that are difficult to understand.

What kind of role does the “resample” sop do in this case?

I am a real beginner in Attribute Wrangle and VEXpressions. (I try to avoid using it normally)
What is this doing in this case?

Thanks again!
336 posts
The Houdini help docs will explain what the different SOPS do better than I can. As for VEX and Wrangles, don't avoid using them. The Point SOP is very cumbersome compared to what you can do with a few lines of VEX in an attribute wrangle, you'll never go back.

I'm making a float attribute called @normlength that is the current point number divided by the total number of points on the line, in the spreadsheet you'll see that show up as a point attribute starting at 0 at the base of the line and incrementing to 1 at the tip. That attribute is multiplying to the aa noise so there's zero displacement at the base of the line and it ramps to 100% at the top. You can use that attribute elsewhere, as an input to control the line width for instance, or a color ramp for shading
154 posts
Thank you! I'll do my best to learn more!
  • Quick Links