Crowds: Creating multiple clips from a single .fbx file?

2226   4   3
4 posts
I'm wondering if it's possible to import and chop up a single fbx file containing multiple loop and transition actions to use with a single agent?

I'm still fairly new to working with crowds in Houdini and so far I'm getting the impression they prefer you import each action separately as it's own fbx file. My specific workflow involves using a longer fbx file animated specifically with the in/out frames of each part in mind. While it wouldn't be impossible to manually separate these parts out into individual files before loading into Houdini, it's an extra step I'd like to avoid if possible.
Staff
727 posts
If you don't want to do the editing ahead of time, the Agent Clip Properties SOP can be used to create several named regions from a long source animation clip
4 posts
OK, I've seen this in use and was thinking it might be where I should be looking.

So is it recommended practice to create individual Agent bake nodes per each state's frame range in addition to defining each clip using the Agent Clip Property SOP? Or can you achieve the desired effect directly by solely using the Agent Clip Property?
Staff
727 posts
You only need a single source animation clip for the original sequence, and you can then use the clip properties SOP to create a few virtual clips from the different frame ranges.
I've attached a simple example that slices up an idle to walk sequence into an idle and walk loop that can be used in the crowd solver

Attachments:
clip_properties.hip (481.4 KB)

4 posts
OK, I'll take a look. Thanks for your responses!
  • Quick Links