Separate the generated geom into several pieces for Unity

1797   4   1
8 posts
Hey guys, I am an absolute beginner. I would like to know the solution on how to separate the generated geom into several pieces which each of them have 65k vertices max for Unity import.

In my situation, the OUT vertices count is unknown because it is generated based on the Unity input so I can't rely on the remesh to trim it down.

As I am very new to Houdini + VEX. I would like to know if anyone can show me how to separate the geom into several pieces in VEX.

Thanks!
2528 posts
You don't need vex to separate pieces, just use delete nodes on a group selection of faces or points. Then follow that up with a polyreduce to dial in your face count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1AkNLkRwyA [www.youtube.com]
Edited by Enivob - Sept. 22, 2017 09:07:32
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
8 posts
Thank you for your reply. But in my case, I want to figure it out 2 possible solutions:
  1. Like what you suggested, to reduce geom smaller that fit in the 65k limitation. However, polyReduce only provide the % option. If the geom input is dynamic, using % can't be sure to make it fit into 65k vertices unless there is an expression can make it works.
  2. Slices the geom into several pieces and each of them has maximum 65k vertices so that it preserves all the details.
2528 posts
1. PolyReduce does have a number mode where you can specify exactly the number of polygons for the output.

2. Once again, use the delete node on a group or selection. If you middle click on a node you can see information. Often imported objects contain groups or materials. You can filter your delete by those values. The delete node can also invert the delete, which is very useful, this way you can isolate the selection/piece instead of deleting it.
Edited by Enivob - Sept. 26, 2017 08:49:35
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
8 posts
Thank you!! Very helpful!!
  • Quick Links