meshing points created with VEX

3541   3   0
90 posts
Hello,

I have been working on creating super shapes (shapes based on super formula). I have been successful at creating the points representing the vertices of the shape, but I'm having trouble meshing it. Below are the steps I used to create the points:

1) Used following tutorial to create a sphere (adapted from processing to VEX)

NOTE: I skipped the part where he meshes the sphere as he used a 2D array, and from what I found out, VEX doesn't have a 2D array.

2) Used following tutorial to manipulate the radius according the super formula.

Right now, I'm just using VDBFromParticles and then ConvertVDB to convert it to a mesh, but the result is not ideal and not realtime.

Any thoughts on connecting the points properly to have a mesh?

I've attached a hip file with my current setup.

Attachments:
supershape.hip (66.7 KB)

474 posts
Hi,

you can use a grid for example, where the geometry is already connected the way you want.
In the next step you can use relbbox for example to calculate the right u-v-coordinates for each point.
After this you can use your formula (or any other surface parameterization) to map each point to the right position.

Attachments:
supershapeX.hipnc (66.3 KB)

90 posts
Aizatulin
Hi,

you can use a grid for example, where the geometry is already connected the way you want.
In the next step you can use relbbox for example to calculate the right u-v-coordinates for each point.
After this you can use your formula (or any other surface parameterization) to map each point to the right position.

This works great! Thank you for the help!
474 posts
LLFA
This works great! Thank you for the help!
Sure man, thanks for the videos you posted!
  • Quick Links