How can I stop Houdini from caching this FBX?

2443   7   1
517 posts
Hi all!,

If anyone has a sec, could you please try to export the FBX from the attached file.
I can't seem to stop it from making a cache file rather than just exporting the keyframed hierarchy.

It's not set to save caches but it just does it anyway.

This is a really simple parented hierarchy, and this problem keeps popping up for me and ruining the workflow between Houdini and Unity.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Pete

Attachments:
ExportTroubles.hiplc (1.2 MB)

2529 posts
I thought that is the nature of the FBX format. It is why you need a keyframe on every frame for bone based animation. I was unaware that FBX could save individual keyframes.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
7737 posts
The vertices are time dependent in that scene. FBX isn't going to create your vop network to animate the vertex color values. FBX bakes animated vertex attributes as vertex caches. I'm not sure if there is a way to disable baking the vertex cache if you want to ignore the animation. For now, if you bypass the vops that animate alpha, you can export it without creating a vertex cache.

I noticed that the translate channels with the channel refs on the nulls are not getting exported. This looks like a bug. Manually baking the keys for each channel, or moving the channel from the controls null to the exported null seems to fix it.
Edited by jsmack - Oct. 19, 2017 13:09:24
517 posts
Hey thanks guys!
Yeah jsmack, I have those ‘ref’ objects as a way of sending the opacity data across to Unity, the alpha in the Houdini scene is just a visual aid to make sure it looks right so I should be able to turn that off before export and it'll be okay . Thanks for tracking that down!
Hey Enivob, I think it might get baked key per frame automatically but it seems that since it was caching the scene it wasn't saving any transforms from the nulls and since Unity doesn't know about caches, none of the animation was getting through.
2529 posts
Just a side question.

Why does every one want to get to Unreal or Unity? Is it just for rendering? On a quick overview of both products neither one seems to be a render engine and people I have inquired with say they just screen capture their footage.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
517 posts
Unity and Unreal are game engines. They don’t really have the tools for creating characters and objects etc. so usually you’d create that stuff in Houdini but then you have to use FBX to transfer things from one package to the other.
1 posts
Hey Peteski, did you find any workaround for this?
Am really at the end of my rope with Houdini, its really maddenning having an animation export that works seemingly at random-
517 posts
Ahh, sorry to hear you are having trouble!

Try setting this force skin option,

Let me know how you go,
Pete
  • Quick Links