Issue reading materials from Unity to Houdini Engine

4369   3   0
2 posts
Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on a building tool using Houdini Engine in Unity and I'm having trouble with the material part.

In my Houdini graph I use an object merge node to allow me to drop any mesh from Unity and merge it into my actual building. I'm using fbx files and with multiple material ID on my mesh. When my mesh is placed into the object merge input in Unity, it seems like it loses all the material informations stored.

When I use a File node in my Houdini graph to link my mesh, everything works fine and all my attributes are here.

I would like to know if there is a way to keep my attributes through the object merge in the Houdini Engine ?

Thanks
Edited by anon_user_66335501 - Nov. 2, 2017 11:18:16
571 posts
The object merge functionality (input node) in Unity is only able to send P, uv, N, and Cd point attributes back into Houdini.

For custom attributes, the plugin only supports sending point attributes into Houdini from Unity. This can be done in Unity via “Convert To Input Asset”, then create attributes in the Point Attributes section on the asset's Inspector UI. Higher level attributes (primitives, detail) are not supported at the current time.
571 posts
Better support for sending attributes upstream (Unity to Houdini) is probably something we can add sometime in the near-to-distant future though.
2 posts
I see, thank you for your explanation. I found a workaround by using the file node instead but it's definitely not as convenient as an object merge. I hope those attributes can be supported one day!

Thanks again
  • Quick Links