windows 10 eye bleaching white screen...

5446   9   2
30 posts
I haven't confirmed the exact source of the problem, but myself and another coworker believe there was a windows 10 update recently that triggers the UI of Houdini (also Nuke) to turn completely white while computing a scene. This is starting to get extremely eye straining on all of us…

Anyone else running into this and/or solved this? This is happening in h15 and h16. Have the latest Nvidea drivers, cant find any info else where on the web.

Cheers
Staff
5156 posts
Yeah, I've seen this too. Seems like it expects repaints to be handled within a certain period and if they aren't, you are greeted with a 100% white blank window. Seems like a regression to me, that's practically the worst way for an OS to handle this case.
4189 posts
Fwiw - MacOS does exactly this when quitting Houdini - full white screen for a few seconds.

Qt4, Gtx 1080ti, MacOs 10.12.5
30 posts
Looking into the issue more, is anyone using redshift with windows 10 here and houdini?

there is a setting when installing red shift to change windows “Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR)” to 8 seconds.

I am wondering if this in introducing the white screen. Will test defaulting it back and see. grasping at straws here.
Cheers
Edited by AlexLombardi - June 9, 2017 14:38:55
Staff
5156 posts
That's not exactly the same thing. That's for when a single draw or compute call occupies the GPU for more than 2s. Windows will restart the driver in that case. What is likely happening here is that the repaint event isn't being handled by the application (it's busy cooking, for example) and for some reason the OS has either lost the framebuffer contents or must repaint right then, so you get a blank window.
30 posts
good to know twod, Is there any setting you can think of we might be able to change to stop this?
Staff
5156 posts
If I find one, I'll let you know.
116 posts
twod
If I find one, I'll let you know.

Sorry to drag this thread back up but the white screen on windows 10 is getting out of control and turning the experience of using Houdini on this OS into a painful one at times. It gets to the point where even moderate amounts of geo are causing blank outs.

Is this just an issue that we have to live with until MS decides for some reason to fix it? Have you guys made any attempts to work with MS to fix this?
Simon van de Lagemaat
owner the Embassy VFX
13 posts
same here, any news how to fix that ??
15 posts
I have this same problem, also alot when using redshift + Windows 10 together as well.
Almost blind on my 40 inch 4K monitor (jumping from black background settings to completely white screen all day : )

Da Costa
  • Quick Links