3D Mouse and camera/view pivot

16864   34   10
74 posts
ikoon
As regards locking of the horizon … isn't it possible to script it somehow? The Z component of rotation should be zero, but simple “lock parameter” doesn't work. It is deeper somewhere, does it really require Sesi to implement it?

Yes it is something that needs to be implemented properly but the good news is that 3dConnexion provide a template that SESI can work from. Ideally we'll end up with the other camera modes too which help enrich the user experience.

Being able to change between target camera mode and camera mode is really useful too. Especially when setting up cameras in your scene (the camera mode is more of a first person fly through mode rather than rotating around an object).

I must admit I'm very disappointed by the 3dConnexion implementation in Houdini; it's as basic a level of support as you can get and it suffers from bad frame rates on occasions with no real explicable cause.

The main reason I stick with it is that I've set up my Radial Menus to be triggered by buttons on my SpaceMouse Pro. Really useful when modelling as I don't have to go near the keyboard.
143 posts
Is there any new solution to the 3D mouse “locking of the horizon”? It's been a while, but I haven't found any solution. Please, is SESI working on this?
208 posts
I'm using the SpaceMouse and H16.5 on a High Sierra Mac Pro. The 3DMouse works fine in Safari but only intermittenly in Houdini and when it does work, sometimes stops working after my computer goes to sleep. I'm using it wired but the same thing happens with Bluetooth.

Anyone else have this problem?
208 posts
Update: The 3D mouse appears to only work in one instance of Houdini at a time, the first one opened, as far as I can tell.

Is anyone using the Spacemouse on multiple instances of Houdini with no problems? I'm on a Mac, Houdini 16.5.

Thanks, Kevin
74 posts
I regularly run multiple instances of Houdini and my 3dConnexion device works flawlessly in each viewport (16.0.750 Win 10).It might be something new that's been introduced with 16.5 or it could be platform related.

Whenever I've had problems with my 3dConnexion device I've done a clean reinstall and it's solved my problem(be sure to properly clean any remnants of the old drivers before reinstalling).
208 posts
I upgraded to the latest drivers but will go back and check for old versions. Thanks Jonathan. SpaceMouse is pretty cool.
1 posts
Just started using Houdini. The 3d mouse works, but I echo the sentiment that the horizon lock is sorely needed
80 posts
There is an RFE going for this(RFE #81403), if anyone is reading this and hoping for these features submit an RFE. It would help let sidefx know there is demand for this.
3D Freelancer
https://www.artstation.com/ffd [www.artstation.com]
710 posts
FFD
There is an RFE going for this(RFE #81403), if anyone is reading this and hoping for these features submit an RFE. It would help let sidefx know there is demand for this.

Hmm, is that for implementing “Lock Horizon”? I submitted a RFE for this last week and support logged it as RFE #106266.
And another one for adding a proper “flythrough” camera mode that's not constrained by a pivot/target, which was logged as RFE #106265.
But yes, definitely let SideFX know that you would like to see additional support for these devices.
1 posts
This horizon thing is driving me nuts. The houdini implementation really needs more options.
710 posts
nrosquist
This horizon thing is driving me nuts. The houdini implementation really needs more options.

Yes it does. Bug SideFX about it! https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/ [www.sidefx.com]
22 posts
Submitted an RFE on this too. The more people that submit one the higher the priority gets and the more likely they will work on it!
6 posts
Also chipping in and will send a bug report. Ideally the drivers would be able to mimic Maya, as I am switching between the two constantly and the tilting camera in Houdini etc is driving me nuts. I currently can't use two hands to navigate due to injury, so the Spacemouse is my only way to orbit!
3 posts
This is probably the easiest problem to fix for the devs too
760 posts
There is someone online whom I spoke with who is working on an excellent script for Houdini specifically for a 3D mouse. Unfortunately it's not available, yet; maybe he will share it online ?
【T】【C】【S】
  • Quick Links