first real houdini project, procedural house generator

4588   2   1
1 posts
Hi,

So as the topic mentions, this is my first ever real houdini project, which I am doing as a part of my masters degree at Teesside University in the UK.

My project is to create a house generator using procedural modeling. Right now I am stuck on trying to attach every asset to my building, like adding windows to a wall etc. I've created a building consisting of 6 grids merged together, and with a poly extrude, 4 walls + floor/roof. I've also created a window asset.

Ive tried googling this, as well as browsing this forum, but how exactly can I copy the windows onto the walls? Is there a way to select a number of points to attach them to? I've tried using a scatter node, range to points, copy stamping, etc, but every time it either puts them in a weird place, or adds way to many windows. Watch the pictures below for a more detailed description.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Edit by ndickson: Fixed the image links.
Edited by neil_math_comp - Nov. 23, 2017 08:28:41
1 posts
Hey Tom,

the images seem to be broken, but from what you describe it seems the Copy to Points SOP should do the trick once you've got the points in the right location. The Scatter SOP creates an irregular pattern that might be a little wild for most architectural applications.

Felix
1743 posts
I fixed the image links, (they were linking to web pages on imgur, not the images).

Also note that you can use attributes like N(z-axis) and up(y-axis) to control the orientation of the things copied by Copy to Points. More information on those attributes and the corresponding transform can be found at: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/copy/instanceattrs [www.sidefx.com]
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links