How to fix error in Wrangle after OpenCL webinar and is Kernel - language?

2030   4   1
171 posts
Hi!

Feel slightly messed up after Jeff Lait's OpenCL vs VEX masterclass.

Can't end up without mistakes In the last example shown - in the second last Wrangle - Houdini points me to the mistake, that I can't fix, cause it looks for me after comparison the same as in the Jeff's example (in my file it's in the last geo node called > OpenCL_smoothing_back_Worksets_groups. I put there a couple of images of Jeff's Wrangles codes too, and it still looks for me the same written. The mistake is something called - “reference to undefined variable i”. Can't understand what does it mean, “i” there underlined with red
In the files uploaded for the webinar in the Worksets example nodes look too differently for me to compare and find my mistake.
And why two last OpenCL nodes in the Worksets example from the webinar - are called “gauss_seidel” and “jacobi” - is it meaningful for all or he just called them so for own purposes?

Before watching masterclass I decided to think that OpenCL is a function/technology we can switch on in some of the nodes to make everything faster if GPU allows.
But now I think - OpenCL and Kernel are (if in the OpenCL SOP we press to generate Kernel Code) - languages? VEX - for Houdini only, OpenCL - used somewhere outside of Houdini too? And Kernel is something used in both, but it's somehow visible in the OpenCL and not visible in the VEX? If OpenCL is another language - he has own functions? or Kernel has? If it is so why they don't have own pages like VEX, VOPs and looks as just a geometry node O_O

And one more thing about Kernel - in one of the first Entagma's tutorials Moritz explained Kernel as something related to edge detection or for blurring used e.g. in the image editing.
Are these things - the same Kernel doing different things or these are two different Kernels named the same accidentally??

Thanks for any replies or advices! (and for reading)
Edited by RyuKu - Dec. 7, 2017 05:24:14

Attachments:
Jeff_Lait_OpenCL_vs_VEX.hipnc (868.8 KB)
Wrangle_OpenCL_mistake.jpg (783.6 KB)

7726 posts
A Kernel is a programming concept, not a language or feature of this software.
171 posts
Hi, jsmack. So Kernel is used everywhere for different purposes in computer sciences? And Houdini just uses Kernel too as a part of his languages (invisible in VEX and seems visible in OpenCL)?
1390 posts
Ryu Ku
Are these things - the same Kernel doing different things or these are two different Kernels named the same accidentally??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel [en.wikipedia.org]
171 posts
Hi, symek, I looked through several wikipedia pages, and at this list of what Kernel may mean too All the words in sentences there after “,” have no meanings for me, don't look like somehow. I can't understand them right now. I'm interested in it in the amount Houdini needs it and if it is relatively to him and if it could be used in Houdini
Edited by RyuKu - Dec. 5, 2017 19:55:31
  • Quick Links