Houdini 16.5 Engine to UE4 4.18 - how to [re]install ?

6467   7   2
5 posts
Hi, I may have screwed this up after I downloaded UE 4.18 and tried to manually copy the Houdini engine plugin from 4.15 to 4.18, before trying a reintall of Houdini (to see if it would install in UE 4.15 or pick up the latest version) but now I'm stuck…

“Plugin ‘HoudiniEngine’ failed to load because module ‘HoudiniEngineRuntime’ could not be found. Please ensure the plugin is properly installed, otherwise consider disabling the plugin for this project.”

When I got this message in 4.18 (which btw no longer opens because of this), I downloaded the latest Houdini Indie 16.5 and installed it. In the install it said it would install the engine plugin for 4.15 - and in fact, it's available for that version - it already was with indie 16.0. So 4.15 works.

My question is: how do I get the Engine plugin to install for 4.18?
And if that's not available, how do I disable the plugin in 4.18 so at least I can open that version of UE?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
dani
603 posts
If you run the install for Houdini 16.5 on Windows you should be given the option to install the plugin for Unreal 4.18, so I suggest you delete the HoudiniEngine folder in your UE install - Engine/Plugins/Runtime and then run the Houdini installer again.
5 posts
chrisgreb
If you run the install for Houdini 16.5 on Windows you should be given the option to install the plugin for Unreal 4.18, so I suggest you delete the HoudiniEngine folder in your UE install - Engine/Plugins/Runtime and then run the Houdini installer again.

that's what I thought, and what I was hoping by installing 16.5 AFTER I had installed UE4.18 - but it offered to install for 4.15 only. Maybe my hacking (copying the plugin from 15 to 18) got it confused. I'll try again after removing the folder, but at the end of the day so I don't loose licenses on Sunday morning (that's what happened last time I installed). thanks I'll let you know!
34 posts
Was there any resolution to this? I also have UE 4.18 installed and when I install Houdini 16.5.268 I only get an option for install Houdini Engine for 4.17. I was wondering if it might be because UE is installed in a non default location. My C: drive (I am on windows) is a small fast ssd, so I install things that take a lot of disk space on another drive. I have had this setup for a while and it has worked for quite a while before this.

Was there any fix to your issue? Or is houdini engine not out yet for 4.18?

-bk
34 posts
Houdini 16.5.319 seems to fix the issue I was having.
900 posts
During the installation process of houdini 17.5 I forgot to install Houdini Engine for Unreal.

How to do that without having to re-install the whole houdini main app, which is pretty time consuming?
Edited by Andr - March 14, 2019 12:02:54
Staff
534 posts
Unfortunately, if you didn't tick the plugin during the install, then the plugins files aren't copied in your houdini directory, and you're stuck with having to reinstall Houdini again.

If you had used our Houdini Launcher (Beta), then reinstalling the plugin would have been easier, by just selecting the Unreal plugin for that version in the launcher's Houdini Engine tab.
Edited by dpernuit - March 15, 2019 10:55:21
900 posts
Ok thanks for clarification!
cheers
  • Quick Links