using Houdini with Davinci Resolve

3468   3   0
194 posts
hey, so, i was recently getting into editing video some, and so i got Davinci Resolve (which i freaking love!!).

Now, i have gotten a wild idea from somewhere that I should make a demo reel and actually try to get a real job or something (in video games).

So, i had some previz (video game) effects that i had already rendered previously and i loaded them into Resolve and composited with a nice background image, no problem…

Then i thought oh, i'm gonna need other elements in this, like titles and what not… So I tried the titles that come with Resolve but then, why would i wanna use some cheesy stock titles when i could make some cool FXy titles in Houdini instead…

So my problem is/was that I couldn't really figure out how i could see the video playing while working on the motion FX in houdini. I ended up just kind of guessing as to what would look good, and it's getting there, but I figure there must be some other way.. people do this type of thing all the time, right?

I even thought, it would be sweet if you could just make houdini transparent and play the video behind it like the way you can do with ZBrush…

If anybody has any thoughts on this, please let me know!

Also, I have no idea if such a thing is possible, but maybe some smart person out there (or sideFX) could one day wrap Houdini Engine into an OFX plugin…? that was my best other thought…
174 posts
try the camera background image and put an image sequence in there ?
76 posts
1 Use Blender Video Editor to transform de video in image sequence or if you prefer use QuickTime.
2 Open Houdini
in Network editor press Tab and type “cop” and choose “cop2plane1”
3 In 3D view you will see a butterfly
4 In Network Editor select “cop2plane1” press I or Enter to go in
5 Select the file and press “p” to see parameter
6 Go to file and find your image sequence
7 Back to 3d view when you scrub you timeline you will see your sequence
194 posts
thanks y'all, i wasn't aware that the background image could be a sequence. I will give that a shot.

Also, harryabreu, i think i tried more or less what you said, but it seemed to utilize a lot of resources and my computer started going very slowly… i may have set something to a strange value, tho… sometimes that's easey to do in houdini when you try new nodes!

(haven't used much cops)
  • Quick Links