Can`t type in numbers anymore

5684   16   1
10 posts
Hi Friends,

I`m a bloody Houdini beginner and I`ve got a problem which really drives me mad. It seems like I`m hitting some wrong shortcut, maybe you can help me. I just can`t type in numbers in the Parameter-fields. everytime i press a number no matter where on my keyboard i just get the message “Jump to Quickmark…” . I know it`s a stupid question, but it would be very nice if you could help me ! Thanks mooop
10 posts
Well guys, I think it`s some kind of bug. I just figured out I can`t even type in the name to save my file, too…
I don`t think there`s any shortcut which can cause this…

Is there anybody who`ve had that kind of problem besides me?
2035 posts
Interesting…I posted about this recently asking what key I may have pressed to cause this.

It was suggested that perhaps Scroll Lock might be the issue because it creates this situation.

Scroll Lock is used when you want to use the Keyboard Chop.

I was going to keep an eye and check for that next time it happens, but I suspect its' not the cause.

Because the times it has happened is when I was doing lots of quick typing and mouse clicks.

But the Scroll Lock is way over on the top right of my keyboard and I'm prettry sure in recalling what I was doing before the issue came up is that my hands weren't keypressing anything over on that part of my keyboard.

So, for myself..the ‘mystery’ remains…and just wanted to chime in because it seems you may be experiencing the same thing as I.
Staff
98 posts
It may be a bug. Could you submit a bug and include the type of keyboard (US, Canadian, etc) and layout (English, French, Swedish, QWERTY, AZERTY, DVORAK, etc) you are using as well?

Thanks!
340 posts
You have probably tried this already, but did you delete channel before trying to enter a number? If the number is being driven by an expression, that will clear it.
10 posts
Hi guys,

@BabaJ
I also got the feeling it happens when there s a lot of quick typing and mouseclicks. But i think it s from version 16.5 on. I was using 16.0 apprentice version and it never happened to me as far as i can remember.
My problem is that i m using other 3D programs with different shortcuts and i think my wild false-shortcutting gets houdini confused. Sometimes it helps to close the shelf sometimes i have to close the whole program.

@Island
Hi Island, yes i did check it. Got nothing to do with the channel. but thanks anyway…

@rafeek
how or where can i submit a bug ?
340 posts
https://www.sidefx.com/login/?next=/bugs/submit/ [www.sidefx.com]
2035 posts
But i think it s from version 16.5 on. I was using 16.0 apprentice version and it never happened to me as far as i can remember

Glad you mentioned that because it's the same with me. I've only had this issue using 16.5.

I've using Houdini since 15.

I was going to wait on a bug report in the hopes that I might catch myself in what keystrokes I used just before it happens.
10 posts
Can t submit the bug:

get the message: “ Your account doesn't have access to this page. To proceed, please login with an account that has access. ”

BabaJ have you access to submit a bug ?
Staff
48 posts
mooopstar, have you tried https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/15604/ [www.sidefx.com] ? (sticky post in this forum) At least one of those methods should work for you.
Edited by christopherw - Jan. 5, 2018 13:14:44
10 posts
Ok, i`ve submitted the bug. and i`ve made a short video. hope you can see it.

@BabaJ if the video is working you can have a look if it`s the same kind of problem you had

Attachments:
houdini bug.mp4 (829.6 KB)

7733 posts
I've had this problem myself, and observed others experience it as well, on 16.5 only. I entered a bug earlier today for it, before I saw this post. Glad I'm not the only one, and that it is not caused by plugins at my studio.
146 posts
Gah - this is happening to me more frequently now, too. Usually seems to be caused by me clicking a parameter value, typing away, then noticing my mouse has wandered into a different pane. Result: one of my network editor panes seems to have keyboard focus locked to it.

Might try and break things on purpose later to try and track it down.
2035 posts
I'm still using 16.5.268 and I had it happen again the other day a couple times.

It was suggested to me on another post that I might have scroll lock engaged.

This time I checked for that and Scroll Lock was not on.

It seems most of the times that I remember that before it happens there is some change in the mouse cursor ( a different ‘icon’ ).

I'm going to keep an eye on that and see if in all cases of the lock out that there is indeed some change of mouse cursor beforehand.

I wasn't ready to update to a daily build ( in which it might be fixed ), until I was sure my render farm outsource was using the same build for renders; Which they are now, so…

I think I will submit a bug if it happens again with a recent daily build.
Edited by BabaJ - Feb. 5, 2018 13:42:57
7733 posts
This was fixed a few weeks ago:
Houdini 16.5.351 Fixed a bug in the network editor's handling of volatile keys that could cause the network edtitor to hold on to continue receiving all keyboard events even after the volatile keys were released. Wed. January 10, 2018
10 posts
ALSO!! This could be an issue with SCR lock. My keyboard keys light up when I hit SCR lock and when I do it inside the Houdini interface, it highlights the frame number and also prevents me from typing.
1 posts
Hi, I've been having the same issue occasionally and I've noticed this happens when you press align node shortcut (alt+A+drag or shift+A+drag).
  • Quick Links